very rough idle

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
inglismark
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

very rough idle

Post by inglismark »

Hi all

I had to take the gaffer of the road before xmas because it refused to start, after much head banging and research and expense including replacing the dizzy cap, rotor, leads, plugs, ecu, injectors i thought iwas making progress when the values of the tps were waaay out, anyway i went to the scrappies today and picked up a complete throttle with working tps (checked at the time) then swapping the new tps on to my throttle (I have a customised throttle sans wax stat) i have adjusted the position of the tps to achieve the correct values but still no joy, its taking MASSIVE ignition advance (by clocking the dizzy by one tooth) for it to start and run and again its rough as hell although it revs quite freely, any suggestion please,

Mark

MRPagey

Re: very rough idle

Post by MRPagey »

Have you checked the cam timing? I'd be looking there next.

Is the engine outputting any codes from the diagnostic port?

I'd check the ECU temp sensor and air Temp sensor as well.
Sig size 350 by 80 and 15kb only

Topic author
inglismark

Post by inglismark »

Cam timing was waaaaaaay off turns out the woodruff key on the crank pulley had partly sheered, also the timing belt had managed to jump 2 teeth on the intake and one on the exhaust, moot point now as the car has been layed up ever since....though i have done a ton of welding, repsrayed it and dropped in a rev 3 3sgte with the gt4 w2a charge cooler

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Is it on the road yet ? Last I heard you had successfully completed your Masters :th: so you don't have that excuse anymore :laughing
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
inglismark

Post by inglismark »

Well....no

I've got 5 years of other jobs to catch up on first, I am however now in possession of a milling machine so there might be some new one of parts made...maybe.....if I ever find the time

How you doing anyway Jimi, well I hope?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

There's life getting in the way again :laughing
All well with me, retired last year, Covid and the offshore slump meant cutbacks, I was safe but me staying meant a young guy I had mentored going :no: wasn't having that, besides at 69 I was beginning to think about it anyway :laughing
Car is still trucking along, might get out in it more now I'm not offshore :cool1:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
inglismark

Post by inglismark »

definitley sounds like you got out at the right time, any plans for your retiremtnt?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”