Persistent failure to charge battery

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Guyc

Persistent failure to charge battery

Post by Guyc »

Can anyone help resolve an ongoing battery charge issue I am having with my 1989 Mk1b? A few weeks ago I came to start the car and the battery was completely dead. As it was approx 8 years old I have replaced it with a new 50A 420CCA YUASA. Once the new battery was in I got the engine bay fan / charge lights on the dashboard. I do not remember the lights showing last time it was driven, which was a 50 mile run. Taking advice from previous threads I have investigated the following:

- A voltmeter across the battery terminals shows a steady 12.4V - no increase to 13.5V+ when engine running
- Fuses AM2, Charge and Engine - checked and all OK
- In-lne link to battery +ve terminal checked and intact (as far as I can tell)
- Each pin on the alternator plus checked with the ignition on (engine not running) - reading approx 12.4V all pins
- Positive terminal on alternator checked with ignition on - 12.4V showing
- Assuming a faulty volage controller (and not wiring) I have swapped the voltage controller, bush block and regulator from a second unit into the alternator (which was working fine when the bearing seized) but the same symptoms persist

Is there anything I have missed? I have run out of ideas.

Many thanks for your thoughts

Topic author
Guyc

Re: Persistent failure to charge battery

Post by Guyc »

A new alternator has fixed it.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Persistent failure to charge battery

Post by jimi »

Guyc wrote: 31/05/17 14:41
- Assuming a faulty voltage controller (and not wiring)
That was your mistake, never assume ;) the tests you did all pointed to a faulty alternator. Which could have been a faulty VR, but once you had swapped that out your only left with alternator (either an O/C or S/C on the windings) No matter your sorted now :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”