How to fix AAV?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
RichieBUK

How to fix AAV?

Post by RichieBUK »

So... Think I've narrowed my idle problems down to this... However, I can't seem to find a guide n how to fix it?

Please help? Thanks :th:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: How to fix AAV?

Post by jimi »

That's because there isn't one. You can't repair them only replace, a new one will cost an arm, leg and a kidney .... if you can get one. Second hand is more likely to be faulty than good.
There's a couple of options, you can try disconnecting the coolant lines to the AAV then flush/back flush the AAV with a hose, there's a slim chance that will work. My recommendation would be a Paul Woods manual choke conversion, have a read of the 3 articles in Know Your for details http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.html ... 3&prodid=0
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

Thanks Jimi. I am happy to report I have fixed the issue by blanking the hole inside the throttle body and using a workaround involving the throttle bypass pipe, until the parts arrive for the manual choke conversion.

Could someone confirm that this is the right solenoid for the conversion:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA ... 501602916?

Thanks

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Can't make out the part number from the pic, it looks similar, almost any solenoid will do it's the volume of air it lets through that is important, if it's not enough them the engine won't idle when cold.
The beauty of the MK2 aircon valve is that it is adjustable so you can set the cold idle to what your happy with. If that one has the adjuster then it will probably be fine. Be handy if you get the plug that goes with it ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”