Passenger Window Stuck

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
RichieBUK

Re: Passenger Window Stuck

Post by RichieBUK »

So... A little progress. Definitely a faulty passenger door switch. By jumping the terminals on the plug, I can get the window to go up and down no problem. Therefore there should be no issue operating the window from the passenger side of the car (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I used the constant positive on pin 3 and jumped it to pins 4 and 2 to go up and down respectively (grounding 2 and 4 for each respective operation). Therefore if the switch was working correctly it should be able to route the power to each pin to perform the operation. I am yet to test the driver inputs (pin 1 and 5), but will report back once I've figured that part out.

Topic author
RichieBUK

Post by RichieBUK »

For some reason I can't edit my last post... Anyway, the good news is that it seems the master switch (drivers side) is in full working order! There is a feed flowing to the passenger switch when the master switch is operated, (+12v to pins 1 (green) and pin 5 (red/blue) when switch is operated down and up). There is still no function when it is operated but I think it confirms that it's a faulty passenger window switch? I will order one tonight unless anyone knows of a way to repair it?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Because the there's no relay for the passengers windows the switches carry the full load of the motor and they are known to fail.
As a final test what you could do is with the passengers switch plugged in, put 2 links across the back of the plug, one between pins 4 and 5 (red/blue and red) and one between pins 1 and 2 (green and green) the window should then go up and down from the drivers side. If it does it's definitely the switch.
Don't forget to take the links out after testing and don't operate the passengers switch with the links in.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

You can get the switch to bits but it's not easy and it's a lot harder to put together again, usually the contacts are burnt / melted and not repairable.
Small tip, if you need a black switch but can only find a blue one then get it. Because it's only the surround that is colour coded and it's easy to change
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”