Recommended Engine Oil

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
RichieBUK

Recommended Engine Oil

Post by RichieBUK »

Afternoon all,

Going to perform an oil change on wednesday and just ordering bits in this afternoon. Has anyone used this oil before?

Petronas Syntium 3000 FR Engine Oil - 5W-30

Euro Car Parts Number: 521772511

Also just as an additional question, the car stalls when releasing the clutch without a bit of gas and makes a rubbing noise if not enough revs are put down (almost like metal rubbing against metal). Drives fine after that and is only heard when pulling away from standing/very low speed. New gearbox oil maybe or new clutch?

Thanks

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Recommended Engine Oil

Post by jimi »

Never used it before myself, personally I'd say that a 5w/30 is a bit thin for the UK, 10w/40 or 15w/40 is recommended. I also think using a fully synthetic in a 30 year old engine that was designed for mineral oil is a waste of money.
I've been using Castrol Magnatec 10w40 (which is a part synthetic) for years and never had any problems, oil pressure is just under a half at idle and around 2/3 - 3/4 on the move.
Also just as an additional question, the car stalls when releasing the clutch without a bit of gas and makes a rubbing noise if not enough revs are put down (almost like metal rubbing against metal). Drives fine after that and is only heard when pulling away from standing/very low speed. New gearbox oil maybe or new clutch?
Hardly surprising, the MK1 needs some revs from a standstill, although if the clutch is grabbing and combined with the noise then it could be the clutch /thrust bearing (or both) is on it's way out.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”