Lack of oil noise on ignition

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Bennet

Lack of oil noise on ignition

Post by Bennet »

Hi there,

If I don't drive my mk1 for more than 24 hours, the engine makes an awful noise on start-up for the first few seconds which I believe to be due to the oil having drained down in to the sump. If I don't drive it for a week or more, the noise is worse and lasts longer.

Is this normal for a mk1?

I'm aware there are ways of manually pumping oil through the engine before you actually start it, but I can't do this every time I want to use the car.

I'm using Castro Magnatec 10w40. The oil level is correct and it gets changed regularly.

Thanks.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Lack of oil noise on ignition

Post by jimi »

No it's not normal, do you have a genuine Toyota oil filter fitted?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Bennet

Re: Lack of oil noise on ignition

Post by Bennet »

Thanks for the response.

The honest truth is, I cannot quite remember now whether it is or not. I remember that it came from MR2Ben's online store.

Is it likely that a non-Toyota oil filter would cause faster drain of oil from the top of the engine..? If so I'll change it and see what difference it makes.

Will it be necessary to drain the oil from the car before changing the filter? If so that's unfortunate because I only changed the oil a week ago! (I didn't change the filter at the same time because it's only done 1500 miles or so on this filter.)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”