A LOT of oil in spark plug well

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
mark allen

A LOT of oil in spark plug well

Post by mark allen »

Hi

Ive got an AW11 which has been laid up for 6 years. I drove it into the garage 6 years ago when it was running fine and Ive started it a couple of times over the years but last time it wasn't idling too well. Ive removed the plugs today and the plug voids are swimming in oil the iridium tips actually being underwater (or under oil ) with a bit of oil in the valley Ive heard a lot about valve cover seals going which I imagine could account for some oil but the plug voids are swimming in oil . Shall I just fit new seals and leave the centre metal section off and see if it will burn off and give it a go ?

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: A LOT of oil in spark plug well

Post by martin42006 »

Get something in the vally to absorb the oil blue roll works well or paper towels and check the cam covers are tight or replace the gaskets if they are knackered.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

If the plug tips are under oil your really in trouble.
I take it you meant they were oily? Possibly from the oil running past the plugs when you removed them ? Why iridium plugs ?
Sounds very much like one or both cam cover gaskets are leaking, if you replace them then also replace the seals that go under the cam cover securing nuts as they will have gone hard an brittle, in fact you may struggle to get them off.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

nick

Post by nick »

You need to clarify what the problem is.

Oil in the valley is probably the cam cover gasket as above. Replace.

Clean and replace plugs. Run car and check plugs. If clean and no smoke, problem solved. If not, you need some more investigation.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”