Fitting 4agze into my Mk1

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 16 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
martin-mk1

Post by martin-mk1 »

Hey all, I will be picking up my engine next week, now does anybody have the skill and the know how to fit it, rather than me taking it to my local and not been able to trust hes up to the job, I would rather somebody with experience doing this kind of transplant do it.

I will pay the cost of it all also provide a hand where needed. Any body interested in making some money let me know.

Topic author
MartG

Re: Fitting 4agze into my Mk1

Post by MartG »

Not an easy job, and likely to be very expensive to get a non-MR2 expert to do it for you. I'm currently fitting a GZE from an AE101 Corolla into an AW11, and there are a lot of pitfalls along the way, such as:

O2 sensor - AE101 has this further down the exhaust than the MR2, so you need to swap the Corolla manifold for one which is drilled to take the O2 sensor, and adapt the Corolla sensor mounting holes to fit the AW11 stud spacing.

Starter - if you're using the AW11 gearbox, make sure its a late one with the 'bump' for the starter on both sides, as the GZE starter is on the other side to the NA one - you'll also need to blank off the NA bump.

Fuel pump - you need to increase the fuel pump flow, or risk running lean hat high revs & boost ( not a good thing ). You can replace the in tank pump with a Mk2 Turbo one ( or similar - lots of suitable ones available on the web/ebay ) or fit an inline booster pump.

SC piping - if the engine is from a Corolla, the SC outlet pipe runs upwards and fouls on the coolant header tank - you need to either move the tank or source an AW11 pipe which runs horizontally under the inlet manifold

Wiring - again if the engine is from a Corolla ( AE92 or AE101 ) then the loom is obviously designed for an fwd installation, and needs mucho modification to mate with the AW11 chassis loom etc. For example, the MR2 engine loom includes the wiring for the engine bay fan and temp sensor - this isn't there on the Corolla loom so needs to be split out and transferred over. the wiring is the bit which takes the most skull work to figure out

Water piping is mostly identical, except for the heater outlet from the head which has a 90 degree bend in it whereas the MR2 one is straight.

Clutch - if keeping the C52 gearbox you need to swap over the 212mm flywheel and clutch. The 225mm clutch on the SC only fits with the E51 gearbox.

The SC sump doesn't have the connection for the return from the oil cooler, and the engine may not have the sandwich plate for the feed to the cooler ( for some reason the SCs didn't have a cooler ). I've swapped the sandwich plate and sump over from the GE onto mine, though the sandwich plate only fits if you cut off half of the alternator bracket ( the bit that holds the aircon and PAS pumps on the Corolla ) - this also needs a revised method of tensioning the alt drivebelt.

Good luck ! :th:

Topic author
martin-mk1

Post by martin-mk1 »

OMG LOL Well thats just given me the what you should know didnt know much about some info supplied only the starter bit :) very useful info mate i will take all that in account.

Now heres what i have.

87 spec 4agze came directly out of a Aw11 JDM s/c,
I will be using the Existing gearbox off my 89 tbar (if this is correct).
Engine has full ECU and loom and all pipes that came off the S/C so its basically a full engine - lsd gearbox.

So does this mean new clutch and fly wheel???
Does the fuel pump and tank have to be replaced or is there a way around it? Do walbro make a pump to fit if this is the case ????

Sorry for my reply if it sounds stupid im not clued up with this transplant 1st one for me in an aw11.

Topic author
MartG

Post by MartG »

As your engine is off an AW11, you'll miss out most of the wiring and piping problems I've had adapting the fwd layout to fit. I think the 89 'box has the bump to fit the starter - mine had - so you should be OK there.

I assume you're keeping the existing 'box to avoid having to find driveshafts to fit the E51 ? Just swap the flywheel from the NA engine and it will fit fine ( fit a new clutch though while you've got it in bits )

You can get inline fuel pumps that fit in between the in-tank pump and the fuel rail ( I only found out about them after I'd fitted an uprated in-tank pump :cry: ) like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALBRO-2 ... enameZWD2V

( my in-tank pump came from this place too )

Topic author
martin-mk1

Post by martin-mk1 »

Cheers Mart thats great news hopefully, now all i gotta do is try and find some one to help me :) I will shop around for an uprated clutch and flywheel, but do you know what size the s/c flywheel is?

Hope fully it will all go together fine.

Also wiring the new ecu in, Is there any how to do's or writeups on what wires il need to do??

Cheers again mate your helping me alot.

Topic author
MartG

Post by MartG »

As you're keeping the NA's C52 gearbox, you need to keep the NA 212mm flywheel and clutch as the 225mm SC one wont fit the gearbox. The standard clutch has been found to be able to cope with the torque of the SC no problem, even with engines fitted with a big SC pulley.

Wiring - there are two connectors you need to worry about:

One 4 pin grey one below/near the engine bay fusebox - this should be the same on the SC loom and just plug straight in ( 2 thick wires for power to the fusebox from the battery and alternator, one blue/? one from the engine bay fan relay, and one Black/White one for the starter ).

The other is a 22 way plug in the boot which is a bit more work - I don't have a pinout to hand though.

This site is a good source for wiring diagrams for both the NA and SC versions http://opc.mr2oc.com/

billybobbooth
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by billybobbooth »

i know this is an old post but im about to start this convertion, picking up my donor car end of the month has been paid for just needs picking up, have found a guy selling a sc on ebay for 600 buy it now at 1k mmmm i may be buying this,

also anyone know where to get the sc gearbox from?as i want eh sc gear box and also i beleive pleease correct me if im wrong but ant the gt-4 st185 drive shafts the same as the sc ones as i know when you do a 3s-gte swap you need sc drive shafts and people that do the convertions use st185 drive shafts.??

apart from the plumming and wiring and starter is there anything hard about this swap? im going to use a new aftermarket ecu and also thinking of adding a turbo just for the fun and getting rid of the clutch in the supercharger so its on all the time, is there any probs with doing this??

cost is not a worry as its a long time comitment found a solid car, can get the full engine new clutch and flywheel all intercooler pipeing the lot + the carola 101 engine for 1250 delivered and all reconed.

i dont mind hard work or custom work, sence the fall of my trd mr2 that whenb i was ready to put the sc on it it faild the mot then got a fc3s rx7 and got going well on that and my insurancre decided they didnt like me working in a pub and upped my insurance by 200 a month.
The World Will End When Mr2's Are No Longer!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 16 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”