New dampers for my mk1

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
paff

New dampers for my mk1

Post by paff »

While you save shop around mate, Fensport are not known as the cheapest and bear in mind you have to add vat to the web prices.

I'm trying to get a few things sorted (you might have noticed by one of my earlier posts) but once that is all done I'm going to try and source some parts cheap for my own builds and maybe a few extras to sell on. Thats a bit of a way off tho so you might be in a position to buy the parts before I'm ready to even source them.

Topic author
Dark

Re: New dampers for my mk1

Post by Dark »

I'm umming and arring whether to just get the bits needed for the rear and see how that goes first, i'm not sure how the car will behave with new suspension at the rear and 20 year old sagging stuff at the front though :-?

Topic author
Dark

Re: New dampers for my mk1

Post by Dark »

Oh and i forgot to mention it went in for its pre-MOT yesterday and i'm advised it will fail on a ball joint and a bush at the rear of the car, apparently the rest of the car is great for its age :th:

Topic author
paff

New dampers for my mk1

Post by paff »

Its best to rplace aoll 4 if you can, however I replaced just the front on one and it was fine. stopped the front diving into corners so much.

I'm not sure I'd want to just upgrade the rear ones tho, youd still have the same dive on the old suspension and I feel that it would totally upset the handling (don't quote me on it tho cos I've never done just the back, and tbh if I had to change some at the mo I probably would do just the back and take it carefull, skint is not fun)

Oh as for the pre-mot, they arn't actually allowed to do that, and if they do ands find something that could fail the mot then technically you are meant to take your car off the road and fix it. The mot altho certificate is valid for a year only tests your car on 1 day ands for the rest of the year you are meant to keep it roadworthy. Still if its not recorded whos to know :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”