Mk1 Brakes...need help!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

see told you I'd forget to mention at least one :)

In fact theres another owned by the dad of my mate whos doing the sc conversion. that I forgot as well but that one is gonna be broken soon.

we arn't hogging them all, its like a little hospital, they are all waiting for heart transplants :)

Topic author
Honey

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by Honey »

WHen is Hiw getting hers then Stephen??

J xx

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

when you fit it I spose :)

Or when I have that spare time I'm trying to find :)

Topic author
robd

Re: Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by robd »

Lol, will be like something out of Herbie soon...they will be flocking to your workshop for some tlc!! Hmm...or maybe that's just in my head!! lol

Sounds like you got a lot of work to do to get the V6 on the road, sounds like it'll be sweet when it's sorted though.
Hopefully you're right on the handbrake cable, only paid £600 for the car so knew would have some stuff to do to get it sorted, hopefuly the list won't get too long! :no:

Got my wedding to pay for in a few months so trying to keep the costs down at the mo, been great on fuel so far though, put £25 in a week ago Sat & still got a couple of blips left! :th:

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Hope so mate as long as they bring money lol.

There is a fair bit to do on the V6 altho it was fun to drive last time round this time I'm making it better, gotta prep it for the next stage of the build as well ;) This time its gonna be loud :)

I doubt you'll have to spend much to keep it running mate, that white one at the top of my post cost £250 to buy, £50 replacement engine then £70 for some welding to be done for the mot (wanted it done quick or we would have done it when we had less to do) As it happens I need to strip my brakes down cos of a failed handbrake now, foot brake is fine, time to replace the cable :)

Anything you need tho mate give me a shout, I have a fair few spare parts lying about so we might have what you need spare anyway.

The fuel isn't bad as long as you don't drive like me hence using the bike a lot more.

Topic author
Wolfman

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by Wolfman »

I can vouch for the fuel, I've been keeping track of mine and I average around 35mpg. Thats cruising towns but ragging it in the country. And thats with a sticky brake as well which can't be helping things!

-wolfman

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Cheers Paff, will do mate :) So what you doing to the V6 to make it better? Imagine it will go like a rocket anyway!! lol :th:

Yeah, well things are cheaper for the Mk1 than the Mk2 Turbo so thats a good start, one of the main reasons I got the Mk1 was because it was a cheap sports car, plus think they're kinda cool too, can't beat a bit of old skool! :)

I'm hoping to get some wheels for it soon, I just want to stick to 15's I think, try & keep the weight down...plus cheap to buy & cheaper tyres!! lol I do quite like the look of the Rota RB wheels, they are very old skool..look like Superlites that you get on mini's.....bit too expensive tho plus offset is to low! :sad:

Well chuffed with fuel, I'm almost on empty but if I can skank it until the wkend, £25 would of lasted me almost 2 weeks!! Woo hoo lol :)

Oh I ordered some rear brakes earlier today, new discs & pads...just std tho....£83 for the lot so not bad, picking them up 2moro & then gonna fit them on the wkend & try & sort the calipers, fingers crossed :)
I also got a quote from a breaker earlier for £160+vat+postage for Twin Pot Celica GT4 discs & calipers, not bad. :) Going to try what its like with new rears first tho, to see how good the stock brakes are when they are actually working! If they are ok for the mo I think I will just put the brakes money towards some 15's instead :D

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Main thing is fit some non knackered head gaskets, and possibly do a bit of home porting (can't afford to pay someone to do it at the mo) revise the exhaust system as the old one was too restrictive, and see if I can work out what I need to do to SC or Turbo it on the next build. Oh and I just want to clean it up properly and remove all of the bits of loom which do nothing in the mk1. Just wantr it back now, 6 months of fun driving then it broke.
In the process of fixing the rear arches got my lifty uppy doors going on (waits for the flame but doesn't care, they are for me and noone else). And finally get the little 205 brakes fitted.

Mk1's Rule, gotta love the retroness :)

15's are quite nice on mk1's, am a bit of a fan for 17's myself (people will argue but they work for me) I have a set of TSW's that need a replacement tyre, if I get one before you come see me I'll be able to let you have a go in the track slag and you can try the stock wheels, the 15's and the 17's if you wanted (havn't got any 16's at the mo).

Where'd you get the brakes from in the end. Tis not a bad price that, (please don't say halfords for the pads, I can get discounted ones from there thinking of it).

I think you'll find the stock brakes fine when they are working. Remeber iif you got the gt4 discs you have machining on top which you can do yourself if you feel confident to do it or you can pay someone (altho its drill some holes so not as bad as the 205's).

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Got the brakes from LDS Motor Factors in Barry, he actually discounted the price for me too, pads were going to be £20.77 but he dropped em down to £17.65! Was quite chuffed with the price :) lol no didn't go to halfords, not a great fan of them to be honest, they always seem to be sooo expensive compared to everyone else!

Question on the rear brakes as I've forgotten already after looking at them 2 nites ago!! Are the rear brakes vented as well as the fronts or are the rears solid as std? Reason I ask is the rear discs I am getting 2day he said were solid but I couldn't remember what they were meant to be!

Sounds like you've got a lot of work cut out for you on the V6........V6 with a turbo sounds niiiiiice, bet that would be some beastly power...rear end action here you come!! lol :wink: When are you hoping to have it back on the road?

Driving your track car sounds sweet :th: You may wanna reconsider that tho as I'm still feeling like a bit of a noob at driving at the mo...haven't driven properly for 2 years as been car sharing my parters Clio 1.2(lol) so I feel like I'm kinda learning all over again! Hence why I wanna get the brakes sorted so I can start pushing myself & unleash some of my forgotten driving skill( lol well I think so anyway hahaha) :oops:

Yeah, on the drilling the holes in the Gt4 discs..do you need a special kind of drill to get through?

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Yep halfords can be expensive (unless you have a trade card ;)) Sounds like a reasonable price you have there tho.

Yep he's right, the rear discs are solid disks so its all good there :)

Oh there is a lot of work to do on the 6, not got a set time to get it back altho should be restarting the work on it in the next couple of weeks, as well as getting one of the 1.5's done :). Turbo will be the next build just want it back as an na at the mo with the subtle mods, see the differences as it goes up in stages.

Mate, my track car currently has cost me £400 max and thats buying, replacing the engine, moting, and getting the welding done to pass the mot so don't worry about being a noob too much. The suspension needs doing but I'll get round to that sometime, it just works as a stock mk1 at the mo. Besides, I can always take you out in it first so you get to see what its like a little.

As for the drill bit, no special one required just a nice fresh drill bit, strong one preferable, you are likely to bunten off the bit, and done in a pillar drill would be preferable.

On the plus side our ramp guy has just been and the estimate for install is £250-£300.
and he might be doing it next Friday :)

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Congrats on the ramp Paff, bet you can't wait to get that sorted, that sounds like a good price(not that I have a clue!!), is that including the ramp parts or just the labour?

Phew on the rear brakes, was getting worried for a min, thought I'd ordered the wrong bits..DOH! lol ...I'm just hoping the weather stays good now as its been raining 2day!

Sounds like you got cars coming out of your eyeballs! Bet you can't wait to get one completed tho, bit of relief & a big smile to see it finished :) Are the V6 engines expensive to pick up & harder to fit than the 3SGTE?

Aye taking me for a spin sounds good..I'm not that bad really, just need to get back in the swing of it! Was funny when I got the 2, was sat in it with my mate like...woah how do you drive again....couldn't even figure out how to turn main beam off until he pointed it out!! hahaha hang my head in shame :roflmao:

What is a pillar drill? Is that like(4gotten what its called now) where you can switch it to go slower to go through concrete etc? :oops:

Topic author
Honey

Post by Honey »

robd wrote:haven't driven properly for 2 years as been car sharing my parters Clio 1.2(lol) so I feel like I'm kinda learning all over again!
Dont worry about going from a 1.2 Clio..... I may have sold mine to buy my 2.... :oops:

If Paff lets me Rant it side ways around the unit car park, am sure you will be fine in it..... hehehehe

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Nope the ramp was bought a little while back for £400 but had a guys car in for a rebuild that we had to finish first be a lot easier with the next one now :)

I'd like good weather as well, but I think the rain is here for the weekend. Altho it won't take long to get the calipers off so chock up the car and take the calipers inside to rebuild :)

Sometime I think we have too many unfinished cars about but if someone drops there car off to you and offers you money to fix it do you work on yours for free or drive the spare one and work on theirs. I need a clone :)

The V6 engines, hmm, now when I bought mine I picked up the whole package I needed to fit it for about £600 inc oils extra piping misc bits, however the price on the Camry's itself has risen and if you can get just the block for £500 your doing well, add gearbox and other ancillaries and your looking on a home build project easily showing you 1k. As for fitment, not much difference between the 2 with chopping mounts and bootwalls about but the V6 can be easier as you have no need to plumb the intercooler, altho you do need a bit more messing about with flywheels.

lol, sounds like you need to have a play about and work the car out, luckily enough theres not much to them, they are an 80's sprts car, no real extras just the bits you need.

Nope, pillar drill is one of the drills that hang on I'll find a pic.....

Better to get a hole where you need it as you just clamp the disc down and it all stays in line.

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Oh Jem you did that and broke my engine :)

Ok I did say don't bend it before you left and it came back in one peice.
Got the 17's on now altho I have upped the pressure from the 8psi it had in the one tyre just incase, doesn't slide as easily on the road now but one round the unit it still does :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”