A few jobs to do next week.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
inflames

Post by inflames »

Hi guys, I'm off next so got some time to the jobs needed to the car. Was kinda hoping that i would have the exhaust from the group buy but doesn't look like I'd get that next week.

Anyway the main job is to find out why my horn is not working, iv checked the fuse that's fine. So i guess the next question is where is the actual horn?
is it positively or negatively switched ?
Is there a contact plate behind the wheel?
Is there any where else to check?

The other thing I'm thinking of doing is putting a new set of speakers in front, rears, tweeters and something for a bit of base. what size are the 1s in the rear and how do you get to them? I tried to pop off the grill like the 1s at the front but with no luck!

what do you guys think i should do?
buy a small 6in sub and build a box for it to fit in the passenger footwell?
or 6x9's and build speaker boxers for them and put the at the back under the seats?

What have you guys done speaker wise in your cars and what would you do?

Topic author
noiseboy

Post by noiseboy »

the horns are behind the radiator, if you don't have aircon, they shouldn't be too hard to reach, and there is a cable in your steering wheel, that would be the first place I'd look, it may have just become unconnected

Topic author
inflames

Post by inflames »

iv already checked that cable at it seems fine. But cheers for the tip behind the rad, cheers

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

There's 2 horns on a MK1, one is in front of the radiator, the other is behind it.
Rear speaker covers don't come off, you have to remove the complete trim panel to get to them. They are 3.5" and are a waste of space IMHO.
Do a search for MK1 speakers and you'll find more info on getting to them, You will also find a few threads on speaker boxes for behind the seats,here's one of mine, I have one behind each seat
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
inflames

Post by inflames »

cheers jimi that looks just like the sort of thing i want to do.

inglismark
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Re: A few jobs to do next week.

Post by inglismark »

yo

decided against the idea of speakers behind the seats and am instead modifying the glove box to hold an 8" sub I also have tweeters mounted behind the headrest and am putting 5" woofers in pods on the doors I've relocated the bat to the front and put an amp in there also, wil post pics when I get to a pc

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

I got rid of the box between the seats and built one to house 2 5 1/4 speakers, worked quite well (can't find my pics at the mo tho), had a removable bass tube in the passenger footwell and 2 JBL's that fitted the front OE fitment

Topic author
inflames

Post by inflames »

Cheers guys iv been looking at other people threads on this matter, soz i realy should have used the search function before putting up the thread.

Jimi iv seen your speaker box measurments how far forward do you have your seat to fit them in, as iam 6 foot and have my seat almost all the way back.

Also another Q were is the best place to disconect the rear speaker from, ie so i dont have to remove all the trim.

Topic author
inflames

Post by inflames »

Jimi, on your box design is the flat part just so that you can place the glass panels of your t-bar? Just asking as considering removing the top falt section and shorting the base from 200mm to about 175-150 so its more like a triangle wedge. This is so that i can fit them behind my seats as iam 6ft etc. This all depends on the size of the magnet of the spaekers iam getting, some Alpine sxe-1350 components.

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

Depends how disconnected you want them. if you are running to a centrebox or one behind the seats, personally I'd cut the wires behine the headunit itself and run nice new ones down the centre column, not everyones way but tis my way :)

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

As you say the top flat section on mine is purely so I can still store the T-bars behind the seats.
Go to this page CLICKY on the Right hand side scroll down to section 110 and click that, scroll down the page and you will find a box volume calculator that you can use that to adjust the dimensions to suit yourself.
What I did is to work out how mush distance I was prepared to lose from behind the seats and use that as the base measurement for the box, I then adjusted the other dimensions (using the calculator) to get the correct volume I needed for my speakers.
I disconnected the rear speakers at the back of the head unit and ran new cables under the centre console to behind the seats.
HTH

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

see Jimi agrees with the cable routing so I can't be completly wrong :)

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A few jobs to do next week.

Post by jimi »

paff wrote:see Jimi agrees with the cable routing so I can't be completly wrong :)
:th: It's the easiest way I've found to run cables to behind the seats.

Topic author
inflames

Post by inflames »

cheers guys, once iv got a full idea of the measurement iam going to use ill have to use that calculator, cheer jimi. :th:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”