MK1 T-Top vs Sunroof

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
NDR008

MK1 T-Top vs Sunroof

Post by NDR008 »

Hi my first post and kind of the reason that drove me to join a forum before actually buying a car.

I'm kind of used to fast cars like 11.6s Starlets that are used for hillcimbs, and to me corner handling is THE most important feature of a car.

I am anticipating that a MK1 will feel slow in comparison (hopefully not too slow, hehe).

My main concern is the roof. I so love the T-Top look and use on nice weather. However I suspect the way the stresses are transfered through the frame during cornerning on a T-Top won't be as good as the sunroof version (due to the lower geometric second moment of area).

How noticable is the difference? Also, for those who own a T-Top, do you get much opportunities to actually drive with it open?

Thanks ;)

Topic author
Wolfman

MK1 T-Top vs Sunroof

Post by Wolfman »

Welcome to the club!

I drive with the top off loads. You just need to be brave! Even when its nice and cloudy I tend to have the top off!

And yes the MK1 will probably feel slow, but you can always drop a v6 in the back at a later point, then it won't feel so slow. ;)

-wolfman

Topic author
NDR008

MK1 T-Top vs Sunroof

Post by NDR008 »

Cool, so you're saying the chassis feel the same and that it is worth driving without the tops.

As for the difference... nah won't go V6, either 4A-GZE or custom 4A-GTE, or just a better tuned NA 4A-GE. Anyway, that is all thinking too far down the line. Got to get one first.

But i'll keep following the forum to learn as much as a I can before my purchase. CHeers guys ;)

Topic author
NDR008

MK1 T-Top vs Sunroof

Post by NDR008 »

Well, I forgot to mention, I am going to take it to track days hopefully or some sprint/hillcimb events. I was tempted with the MR2 Challenge but I do not like the strict regs.

But yeah, hopefully it will see the track.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

MK1 T-Top vs Sunroof

Post by jimi »

I don't think your allowed on most tracks with the T-bars in ( for safety) other than that I don't think you'll see any major difference between a T-bar and a sunroof
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
paff

MK1 T-Top vs Sunroof

Post by paff »

I have no problems with one of my T-bars and that (when its running) has a v6 in the back. The other has a 4a in it and that doesn't get affected.

Used to have a sunroof model and tbh, everytime I look for another mk1 now, I don't really care what it has, altho always prefer the T-top.

Further down the line, a 4agze is not a bad swap for an increase but myself I wouldn't bother.

However I have one in at the mo that is having a 4agze swap with a megasquirt ecu running it so hopefully we will see what difference that makes soon :) Oh just to keep it on topic, that one is a sunroof model and the guy that owns that says if he gets another it'll be a tbar :)

Topic author
NDR008

Re: MK1 T-Top vs Sunroof

Post by NDR008 »

paff wrote:I have no problems with one of my T-bars and that (when its running) has a v6 in the back. The other has a 4a in it and that doesn't get affected.

Used to have a sunroof model and tbh, everytime I look for another mk1 now, I don't really care what it has, altho always prefer the T-top.

Further down the line, a 4agze is not a bad swap for an increase but myself I wouldn't bother.

However I have one in at the mo that is having a 4agze swap with a megasquirt ecu running it so hopefully we will see what difference that makes soon :) Oh just to keep it on topic, that one is a sunroof model and the guy that owns that says if he gets another it'll be a tbar :)
Now that is concerning, I need to check, I though (could be badly mistaken) that in the MR2 Challenge 2s have to have rollcages because they all (almost) have T-Top or sun roof. But it could be I misread it and it actually meant no T-Top, Sun Roof ok as long with rollcage.

Topic author
paff

MK1 T-Top vs Sunroof

Post by paff »

If I remember rightly, even the sunroof models in the challenge cars have the roof plated up.

I don't understand whats concerning tho, both have their advantages and disadvantages, unless you are wanting a challenge car I really wouldn't worry.

Oh as far as I know the T-tops arn't allowed in the challenge.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”