ECU mystery - help!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
starbreaker

ECU mystery - help!

Post by starbreaker »

Hi all
Having problems with the ECU in my standard rev2 turbo import, hopefully someone can help. So I have two original denso ECUs. One has an issue where the engine management light stays on and the idle revs rise and lower randomly. The other which was fitted to the car lets the engine crank but won’t fire up. I sent the dead one in to get repaired in Autokey in Dublin and paid €300 to have it fully refurbished incl all capacitors changed. When I fitted it became clear the same problem remains. Cranks but won’t ignite. When I put back in my spare one it starts but as mentioned the engine management light stays on and idle revs fluctuate randomly. Neither one shows any fault codes on diagnostics. I’m going to bring the dead one back into Autokey tommorow and will update with what happens. When I collected the part I was told it should be perfect now and if there’s still a problem it’s the car. Can’t see how this would be the case though seeing as it starts up on the spare one. Anyway I would really appreciate some help as I’m in the middle of restoring the car to some of its original glory and I have hit a brick wall with this. Booked in to get a respray in 2 wks time and the car had been running 100%. I’m reluctant to try get the other ECU done in case it’s just further money wasted. Can’t seem to find any 2nd hand rev2 3sgt Ecus anywhere and at this stage I can not afford a new aftermarket one which seem to be €1000+. The whole saga with the car so far has been stressful enough. I’ve had it 12 yrs so far and plan on keeping it, no major trouble until now and it has been very well looked after. Any advice or help would be hugely appreciated.

salfordimp

Re: ECU mystery - help!

Post by salfordimp »

Have you looked at the coil pack yet?

Topic author
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

My mechanic said coils and spark were ok but perhaps I should get a 2nd opinion. Just seems odd it starts with one ecu and not with the other. I would not have a great knowledge of engines myself. Only a basic enough understanding of how they work.

Topic author
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

Would a failing coil not show up on diagnostics? There are no errors on either ecu.

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

I would have got the ecu that gets the car going repaired. Sounds like thats the one one with the faulty capacitors.
The other one that you have had done already has probably more wrong with it than dodgy leaky capacitors.

Topic author
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

Ye I probably should have. The one I gave them had been working fine in the car for over 3 years, it was a replacement for the one I have back in it now. I am very wary of giving them the other one in case it isn’t fixed either. Seems like 2nd hand ones are non existent now. Not sure what I’m going to do.

Topic author
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

Big problem I have now is that Autokey told me it was fixed and I paid them. I am hoping they will be good enough to take another look at it. I had told them when I gave it in that the issue was the car wouldn’t start with that ECU. That issue remains.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”