New motor won’t start

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
therevg

New motor won’t start

Post by therevg »

Hi guys, I’ve been helped tons with this site but have never actually interacted before. I’ve got a ‘93 rev 2 that I’ve just installed a ‘98 rev 5 motor into. Everything seemed to go quite well. I’ve got spark and fuel, but it won’t fire up. It’ll start using easy start but won’t stay going on its own. The new motor came with wiring loom and ecu. The motor ran perfectly in the previous car. Any thoughts? Cheers!

Topic author
therevg

Re: New motor won’t start

Post by therevg »

So, upon further investigation, it appears that the Rev5’s often had inbuilt immobilisers. And, it appears, a simple fix is to install a Rev3 ECU. Got one ordered. Here’s hoping!

m122794
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: New motor won’t start

Post by m122794 »

Hmmm - not sure - you might need to block off all the Rev5 EGR rubbish to make the Rev3 ECU work properly since Rev3's had a bit more power and no EGR plumbing. You'll need Part number 89661-17500.

Downside is you might struggle with emissions at MOT? Although that will depend on whether the tester bases the emissions on the age of the car or the engine - try to persuade them to use the chassis age!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”