The MK2 MPG / Fuel Consumption Thread

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

b145t3r

Re: The mk2 MPG Thread

Post by b145t3r »

my MKII with rev3 engine (Link G3 ECU, 1,17bar, R17 wheels) 15-16 MPG

rover76

Post by rover76 »

b145t3r wrote:my MKII with rev3 engine (Link G3 ECU, 1,17bar, R17 wheels) 15-16 MPG
don't tell me that !

i been toying with the idea of doing a rev 3 convo on my rev 1 :no:

:D

Steve

Post by Steve »

Rev3 turbo - averages 27mpg - Mods

whitworthmike

The mk2 MPG Thread

Post by whitworthmike »

My worst:

Topic author
d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

Howlin_Mad wrote:Dan - had 4.5mpg out of the V6 before, but don't enter that as it was a day on a sprint course so not real world driving and I can't back it up (but we did brim before/after and used the course length x laps + 4 miles for the trip to the petrol station). :blush:
:D
Yep - cannot enter is as it did not constitute a full tank. :th:

Table updated.
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

psuummers

Post by psuummers »

rev3 3s-gte

That's not being particularly careful either. I just sit at about 65-70mph for long trips on the motorway. Around town I seem to get about 28mpg. The car is GT spec and not modified at all.

My old rev3 3s-ge for comparison:

Seemed to get worse mpg :confused1:

lmitchell

Post by lmitchell »

Mine is about 27 mpg which until i read this i thought was bad.
Ps whats the app above?

CorkMR2

Post by CorkMR2 »

I'm finding my Rev1 mk2 increasingly difficult to run due to the rising cost of petrol. I love MR2's though and really don't want to go back to driving something boring, it has been v reliable for me too.

I was wondering though if the mk1 or mk3 MR2's would be cheaper to run? I'd imagine that mk1's are pretty good on petrol, just judging by the size of them, though I realise that could be a foolish assumption!

Are mk3's okay on fuel?? What about later Revision mk2s??

wbutcheruk2

Post by wbutcheruk2 »

235 miles since last fill up, managed to squeeze 40 litres in the tank after a few extra clicks.

Works out to be 26.6725 mpg (not too bad i think)

Not really giving it too much welly and driving 12 - 15 miles in one trip twice aday on A roads mainly doing about 55 - 60 mph if i'm luck because of the slow drivers on the road.

1992 MR2 2litre Turbo import mk 2 Rev2 with HKS induction kit and cone air filter, HKS dump valve & boost, large intercooler, mongoose exhaust, lowered and stiffened, 225/50 R16 rear & 205/50 R16 fronts, front strut brace.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

CorkMR2 wrote:I'm finding my Rev1 mk2 increasingly difficult to run due to the rising cost of petrol. I love MR2's though and really don't want to go back to driving something boring, it has been v reliable for me too.

I was wondering though if the mk1 or mk3 MR2's would be cheaper to run? I'd imagine that mk1's are pretty good on petrol, just judging by the size of them, though I realise that could be a foolish assumption!

I am assuming you have an n/a. Have you had a good look at Mk2 league table figures? JohnnyC and d-peg have shown that 40+mpg is perfectly possible (not likely I will ever manage that in T2!). If you want daily 50+mpg figures, fine, buy a Prius/Yaris/Aygo!
:yawn:

The Mk3 will generally produce better mpg because it is a much lighter car. All other things being equal, you need less energy to propel it move or can get better performance from the same amount.

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere"
Colin Chapman

@ d-peg.
I think it would be helpful for comparison purposes if additional info could be provided in the league tables.

1. For all entries, whether the car is standard or modified - i.e more than just an induction kit/exhaust such as, for example, Rick (2) and Dan (3) ahead of me on the turbo list. I'm running uprated boost and 300+bhp. A somewhat different baseline!
2. For all Mk2s - which revision. Not only do they have different bhp/torque figures, but the map sensor on Rev3+ cars is a more advanced device than the afm on the earlier ones.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
d-peg

Post by d-peg »

Aye Tony,

I think what info you're after is listed (or should be) the the person's post. to add that info to the league table would have it looking cluttered - though i could agree with either "STD" for standard or "MOD-300" for a rough hp figure perhaps.

That aside though, if everybody drove their healthy car at 56mph for a given distance, all accelerating with the same load, using the same rims & tyres i would expect everybody to be within a few millilitres of fuel usage. Cos in a roundabout way it'll only take so much fuel to do that regardless of hp - if you see what i mean :)

Personally i think your mpg speaks volumes of what a healthy, high hp MR2 Turbo can achieve.... if you know how to drive economically that is ... eh Tony :)

Yes ... there is a knack to it... ;)

CorkMR2

Post by CorkMR2 »

TonyleFrog wrote:
CorkMR2 wrote:I'm finding my Rev1 mk2 increasingly difficult to run due to the rising cost of petrol. I love MR2's though and really don't want to go back to driving something boring, it has been v reliable for me too.

I am assuming you have an n/a. Have you had a good look at Mk2 league table figures? JohnnyC and d-peg have shown that 40+mpg is perfectly possible (not likely I will ever manage that in T2!). If you want daily 50+mpg figures, fine, buy a Prius/Yaris/Aygo!

Yeah my mk2 gets about 20-25 mpg which at 1.50 per litre of petrol is not easy to manage at the moment. If I sell the MR2 I would get maby 1000 euro which would buy maby an ancient Clio or Starlet or something that might not even be as reliable as the MR2. I'm just curious as to alternatives...

Topic author
d-peg

Post by d-peg »

CorkMR2 wrote:
TonyleFrog wrote:

Yeah my mk2 gets about 20-25 mpg which at 1.50 per litre of petrol is not easy to manage at the moment. If I sell the MR2 I would get maby 1000 euro which would buy maby an ancient Clio or Starlet or something that might not even be as reliable as the MR2. I'm just curious as to alternatives...
If that's all you're getting mpg-wise then you need to read my opening post very carefully!

MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

Dan, just spotted your deliberate mistake in the first post ;)

Surely ropey tyres and sticky calipers will decrease fuel economy?

:cheeky:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”