Kph too mph... Help please

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: Kph too mph... Help please

Post by Chris69 »

jimGTS wrote: 21/10/13 10:19 or you could fit a 110mph dial face over the top.

so youd keep your clocks, and milage will still be in KMs, but the needle will show you mph
THIS!!

I'm not really sure why anyone ever bother's mucking about swapping the clocks ect when it's this easy. It also keeps the originality.

There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abovetherim »

Chris69 wrote: 01/10/20 22:03
jimGTS wrote: 21/10/13 10:19 or you could fit a 110mph dial face over the top.

so youd keep your clocks, and milage will still be in KMs, but the needle will show you mph
THIS!!

I'm not really sure why anyone ever bother's mucking about swapping the clocks ect when it's this easy. It also keeps the originality.
What if you want to do more than 110 mph on a track or the autobahn?
Also fitting UK Speedo raises the speed limiter.
Back in 2011 when I took my 2 on the European banger rally there were a few times I was off the clock (import Speedo with mph cover) and one time hit the speed limiter which at that speed was rather scary.
Last year on the way to German go I was cruising at 130 indicated behind my mate in his Porsche 997 turbo.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

lauren201195 wrote: 01/10/20 9:00 I have one that has not been converted to mph and needs limiter removed how’s the best way to do it it’s a rev4 turbo
If you're going to delimit the car rather than just convert from kmh to mph dials then this may be of interest - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/41/162518.html
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

I was under the impression that the speed signal goes to the speedometer the from there splits to the ECU and the pas ECU separately, therefore if you fit a delimiter at the ECU speed input wire the pas would shut off as normal @ 50 mph.

That is unless you fit UK clocks and keep import pad ECU. But the you wouldn't really need the delimiter as the ECU would under read by factor of 1.6
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

"Stef" wrote: On the MKII, the 12V speed pulses go from the gearbox sensor to the speedo, where they are converted to 5V and sent on to the ECU, where the speed limiting takes place.
If you convert the KMPH pulses to MPH pulses, then the limit is moved to 180mph, kinda delimiting, but all other speed sensitive items like the PAS are also converted, and your PAS will stay on until 80mph instead of going off at 50 (80 kmph). You are better off with either a separate delimiter and converter or a combined unit that separates the signals that go the speedo and the ECU (like the one I designed ;) )
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”