Handbrake Tightening

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Bezly
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 3

Handbrake Tightening

Post by Bezly »

Hi,

my MOT is not until October, however I thought I would start to work on the advisories now; being that the handbrake does not really work.

It starts to let go on a slight incline, and again more likely to slip when the front is facing downhill.

The lever comes up all the way and feels like it would come some more if it could.

As for the fixing of it, is it possible to do with the car on axle stands? Or should I get it done at the garage?

And if it is possible, how do I go about it?

Many thanks

Bezly

98' Cosmos Rev5 N/A

2013-2015
93' Red Rev3 Tubby

2007-2009
91' White Rev2 N/A

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Handbrake Tightening

Post by stuMR2lee »

You need to check that the handbrake arm on the calipers freely move. You should be able to move them by hand to work the brakes.

If that's ok check the condition of the cables.

If they're ok then you need to remove the centre undertray to adjust the cables. What works for me is to put a 1mm feeler gauge between the handbrake caliper arms and the stop pins (one each side). I then adjust the handbrake until the feeler gauges fall out. I then get freely moving wheels but handbrake on after about 4 clicks.

I have done this before with axle stands.

Gaz!

Re: Handbrake Tightening

Post by Gaz! »

If all the mechanism works as it should then the cables may have stretched. Adjust in the centre.

Sent from my boot to your "censored".

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by chris »

when I took my car to get it's MOT last week I was shocked to find that the MOT tester had adjusted the handbrake cable for me, for free, and didn't even mention that he'd done it...

so it can't have been that hard a job, I guess you just need to jack the car up and get underneath and all will become clear :th:

stuMR2lee

Handbrake Tightening

Post by stuMR2lee »

Adjusting the handbrake is the easy part with a 12mm spanner once the undertray is out the way. There's even a powerpoint presentation on it somewhere (KY2?).

The only caveat being that all the components are functioning as they should. No amount of adjusting will help if the cables and/or caliper actuators are seized or not working correctly. Seen it on quite a few 2's. Easy enough to check first though.

The OP hasn't said what condition his cables/calipers are in so just covering all bases at the moment:). Hopefully a simple adjustment is all that's needed.

If he wants a trip to Colchester I'd look at the brakes for him over my inspection pit.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abovetherim »

As the handbrake is so out of adjustment I wonder whether it has had new pads on the rear and the calipers haven't been set right? check out the ky2 for the correct procedure (maybe in the mk1 section as the rears are essentially the same.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Good point. Especially if someone not familiar with these brakes did the job.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Basically the cable never needs adjusting. The calipers are self adjusting and if things are going astray in this area the calipers need a rebuild and the two cables to the calipers are stuffed and ceasing. If the handbrake feels loose thats because the cables are ceased and are not releasing and your driving around with the rear brakes on. Easy to tell just try pushing the car on a flat surface or feel the rotors after a short drive after not using the brakes at all or jack and try and spin the wheels.

Topic author
Bezly
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Bezly »

Cheers for the feedback guys.

I really don't think they are sticking as it's not like they are not releasing, just not gripping hard enough. You could probably push it when then handbrake is on at full tilt though.

Stu, I may take you up on that offer as I'm in Norwich and often drive to London to see my better half; will PM you.

Cheers
98' Cosmos Rev5 N/A

2013-2015
93' Red Rev3 Tubby

2007-2009
91' White Rev2 N/A

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

No problem. Be happy to help:).

L33SH

Post by L33SH »

stuMR2lee wrote: 20/05/14 9:47 Adjusting the handbrake is the easy part with a 12mm spanner once the undertray is out the way. There's even a powerpoint presentation on it somewhere (KY2?).

The only caveat being that all the components are functioning as they should. No amount of adjusting will help if the cables and/or caliper actuators are seized or not working correctly. Seen it on quite a few 2's. Easy enough to check first though.

The OP hasn't said what condition his cables/calipers are in so just covering all bases at the moment:). Hopefully a simple adjustment is all that's needed.

If he wants a trip to Colchester I'd look at the brakes for him over my inspection pit.
Hi Stu, i am also based in and around Colchester! What colour 2 do you have as i have only seen a few passing in and around town! :D

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Hi, not had a 2 since our MK3 got written off last December. Got a Lexus SC430 at the moment which belonged to my late wife😪

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”