Turbo Exhaust choices Mongoose/japspeed/other

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
PShort

Post by PShort »

I've got a Mk2 Tubby which is currently fitted with a 4.5" dual japspeed (or similar) exhaust, though I believe it still has the cat fitted. I'm going to decat but wouldn't mind the making the car a bit more social - sneaking home at 3 in the morning is just a bit embarrassing and the motorway drone gets a bit much! I'm looking at the mongoose exhaust, so can someone first hand say how much quieter the mongoose would be? Or any recommendations on other exhausts?

Cheers!

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: Turbo Exhaust choices Mongoose/japspeed/other

Post by vinp182 »

A mongoose is a million times quieter than a Japspeed is :th:

IMO the Berk is one of the best turbo exhausts available.. I also like the Nur Spec but thats loud too
Cars suck donkey balls

Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

My vote would also be for the Berk, but I would say that as I've got one and think it's the best.

I have got a second hand mongoose for sale though if your interested much quieter than a japspeed, it's not a show piece (needs a good clean!) and has a dent which you can't see when fitted but works perfectly fine on my car. If your interested I'll PM you some pics.
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

Lezz
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Lezz »

Blitz Nur Spec with the baffle fitted would be my choice for a 'quiet' exhaust on a Turbo - obviously without the baffle they are much more fun & the baffle is easily fitted and removed dependant upon the occasion - win win!!

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Hks exhausts are quiet as well as most jasma systems.

Blue flame and mongoose drone terrible though are slightly quieter than a japspeed.
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Topic author
MRS 2

Post by MRS 2 »

I love the tone of a mongoose, I have mongoose on both my N/A & Tubby, my daughter has a japspeed on her N/A which is just deafening on the motorway, she lives in the next road to me & I know when she is leaving/arriving home!!!!

Topic author
kareem

Post by kareem »

Sounds like the mongoose is quietest. Any sources for where to buy? Preferably in Canada.

Topic author
camelharman

Post by camelharman »

I have the RSR Magic on mine, she rumbles!

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

I strongly recommend not buying a Mongoose, hated mine, my blueflame sounds so much better but still loud.
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

vinp182 wrote:IMO the Berk is one of the best turbo exhausts available.. I also like the Nur Spec but thats loud too
Agree on the Berk. i have a Berk downpipe and Nur Spec on T2. If I keep to the NSL on ordinary roads it's quite bearable. The problem is the harmonic resonance peaks at 70 in 5th. Motorways can therefore be a tad unpleasant over long distances. Unless I go faster... Then it diminishes somewhat. Still loud though.
Lezz wrote:Blitz Nur Spec with the baffle fitted would be my choice for a 'quiet' exhaust on a Turbo - obviously without the baffle they are much more fun & the baffle is easily fitted and removed dependant upon the occasion - win win!!
My baffle is mint - never been used! :laughing
MRturboTom wrote:Hks exhausts are quiet as well as most jasma systems.
Got a Super Drager on the Rev 4. Similar volume to a Berk but a different tone. Whisper quiet around town but growls nicely when given some welly. The problem with the HKS is that the Y pipe is mild steel not stainless and is prone to rusting if not suitably treated before it's too late.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
Robbie_742003

Post by Robbie_742003 »

Got a blueflame on mine, not intrusive just a nice rumble on the 'go' pedal. Outward facing tips are nice too.

Topic author
Olly

Post by Olly »

Had a mongoose on my turbo for a while. Was dreadful. Cabin drone was unbearable. Switched over to the Berk and love it, even after 6 years. Perfect blend of noise when booting it vs serenity when not.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

I have a SARD on mine, very quiet until you open up the taps. Lovely looking too. At low rev's at 30mph has a low rumble like you just passed something with a bit of anger waiting to be unleashed ;)

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Apexi GT. Nice and loud, but not annoyingly so, and drones when you lift off. With the Active Silencer fitted it's just too quiet so I leave it out:).

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”