rev 1 Mines ecu question

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
James94

rev 1 Mines ecu question

Post by James94 »

hey guys,

I have just purchased a mines plug and play ecu for my rev1tubby!

I was just wondering what sort of gains i shall see with this, i already have a berk 3" echaust and a blitz air filter.

would i be seeing around 250bhp with this or less or more ?

many thanks

James

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: rev 1 Mines ec

Post by TonyleFrog »

My Rev 4 had a Mines when I bought it. I have no idea what power it produced as I never had it on a rolling road. My 'seat of the pants' dyno told me it was noticably quicker than my previous Rev 3. However having done some reading I decided that it was too much of an unknown quantity for me. Also, not being mappable, it was going to be a limiting factor going forward. So I took it off and sold it on.

You may find these of interest.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 6c1645665e
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... b8fad2af72
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showth ... =mines+ecu
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=458370
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=4 ... ecu+battle

n.b. the figures in the last link were obtained on a Rev 3 so are not directly comparable as the Rev 1 has a different turbo.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
arblist

Re: rev 1 Mines ecu question

Post by arblist »

I run a mines ecu on my rev 1 tubby. no massive gains for me, just feels more eager. However, what it does do is removes the speed limiter, and moves the boost cut out higher. It also raises the rev limiter. Fit a later head gasket, get a boost controller (I run a manual boost valve set at 1.1bar) and enjoy!

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Pretty much no difference if you have a couple of external boxes (speed limit remover and fuel cut remover) on the stock ECU turbo. Your turbo has to be replaced with a CT20b or a CT26 Hybrid. All the gains come from changing the Turbo, not the ECU. Mines with the stock CT26 will not get you anything noticeable, you actually need pretty big gains of over 10% to notice anything at all and the seat of the pants dyno improvements are usually in peoples heads !

Ultimately the stock injector size in the Rev 1 is the limiting factor and everything else around the ECU like IC cooling and exhaust, fuel pressure and mods done properly will get you to 250Hp, that's all you can expect really.

The stock 440cc injectors on the early model was quite limiting, obviously the 550cc injectors on the Rev 3 gave much greater scope for Hp gains.

The CT20b or CT26 Hybrid (if done properly, most are NOT) easily out flows the stock fuel system on the Rev 1

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

Thanks for all the replys guys it is much appreciated :)

I would have thought some gains were possible as it ups the boost to 15psi ?
Or am I wrong ?

James

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

Can the intercooler and other parts (exhaust etc) manage the raised boost tho?

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

I have a 3" berk exhaust and a blitz induction , inter cooler shall be getting upgraded in due course ?

If the ecu is raising the boost to 15psi is that not in affect the same as if I had a boost controller set at 15psi ?

I also read that for every psi you up the boost you gain 10hp or is that all bollocks haha ? Sorry I am new to all this turbo business haha !

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jimGTS »

i would question "how" is the ecu is raising the boost??

as i find it highly unlikely its "adjusting" the oem boost solenoid (tvsv). i never heard of any ecu doing this, even the full blown standalone ecu's don't unless you opt for an optional separate solenoid that you need to plumb in (and disable the oem one).

you wont be getting 10hp per psi, not on a ct26 turbo.
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

What I have read on the forums etc and read up on the ecu is that it raises the boost to 1 bar :) I wouldn't know how it does it but apparently it does ?

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jimGTS »

do you have a boost gauge??

try with stock ecu and try with the mines ecu, thatll be the only way itll tell you assuming you still have the oem boost control in place (and not bypassed).
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

Not as yet buddy but it is on the list :)

I shall do that and let you know the results !

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

You have been reading that "Power Primer" unfortunately most of that is bollocks, yes there are some useful bits in there but after 16 years of owning a JDM Rev 1 turbo and doing every single mechanical engineering mod myself and the electronics design and build for itI can tell you the CT26 is the first thing that needs to go if you want noticeable gains.

So many Myths about the MR2 that just get perpetuated over and over.The road to 250Hp is pretty simple.

1. CT26 Hybrid or CT20b. CT20b is better because a CT26 built by someone else is generally a stuff up with a compressor wheel way too big. I'm still confused as to why no one took the path I did and machined the compressor housing and the wheel from a CT20b a little to make it fit a CT26.The result is 17psi to the redline and the only disadvantage is another 300rpm of lag over the stock CT26. I stayed with the CERAMIC turbine however or it would have been worse.

2.Intercooling. Generally not done well either with a cheap ripoff aftermarket IC and no fan, no shroud and you loose all the intake ducting. A custom made shroud for the stock IC that doubled as a mount for a SPAL fan that was boost controlled from 5psi with delay off timer was a far better option if your goal is only 250Hp.

3.FCD or Fuel cut defencer, not needed on the Mines.

4. Boost controller

5. Exhaust, yes for that few extra Hp if you can handle the increased noise or drone. We can run without a CAT over here so it got removed and a 3" downpipe fitted but the stock exhaust stayed for a number of reasons.

6. Fuel system, get an adjustable FPR, preferably replace the fuel pump and filter. You need to know your fuel pressure, its a must if you want to run more boost.

7.The engine needs to be in good shape before you even start or your just wasting money. The coolant system needs to be perfect condition as every extra kW at the wheels is roughly another kW going as wasted heat energy into the coolant.

8. Decent AFR guage, you can only "Tune" your fixed map ECU by gradually increasing the boost to whatever it will handle before going too lean.

9. The only thing I have not done, rebuild the head. There are bigger gains to be had here than changing the exhaust, its all about flow and the stock port work and matching is as rough as guts, also over time there is significant carbon buildup on the backs of the valves that severely limit the flow both in and out of the cylinders. The buildup and the change in shape of the valves that I have cleaned on the Lathe has been truly amazing and the gains were noticeable even on a NA car.

Get it all right you have 250Hp, maybe a little more and still have reliability as the 3SGTE was designed to handle so much more than that. Total cost for me about $2500 over the years and 170kW on the Dyno up from 146kW in stock form. The head and the exhaust work would get me the balance but realistically its already a rocket ship for the kind of condition of our roads over here.

Topic author
arblist

Post by arblist »

I can confirm the Mines ecu does not alter the boost pressure at all. It is however ready to run at 1.1 bar or 1.2 bar (depends who you listen to). To achieve this increase in boost you will need either a manual boost valve (I use a grainger type) or an electronic boost controller. CAUTION: at 1.1/1.2 bar you will be very very close to the edge of the standard injectors and 25 year old fuel pump. If you start running lean, all sorts of very expensive things happen.

Topic author
James94

Post by James94 »

Arghhh that's a bit of a shame , thanks for the replys though guys appreciate it :) !

I am going to be putting a decat on it that will make a big difference won't it ? What sort of gains am I likely to get ?

Electronic boost controller next then for me !

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”