Power steering fix 100% working.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

MR2BRU

Re: Power steering fix 100% working.

Post by MR2BRU »

I'm struggling to find anything 0 - 12v :sad:

Topic author
Monkulas
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Monkulas »

Just trolled through eBay. Look for one with good build quality.

MR2BRU

Post by MR2BRU »

Monkulas wrote: 12/10/18 20:04 Just trolled through eBay. Look for one with good build quality.
What ampage would you suggest?

Cheers,

Bru :th:

Topic author
Monkulas

Post by Monkulas »

The motor controller should be able to handle 40-50amps. The pump draws alot of current under load/full lock.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Couldn't be 100% sure but I am 99% sure the pump is going to be PWM speed controlled by the pump ECU.

Essentially it uses your speed sensor so you have full assist when your parking but at about 120km/hr your pump is essentially turned off. In between you would have some sort of linear or otherwise ramping of the level of assist.

So putting in a pot and manually varying the speed is not really a replacement for the factory setup, so yes its working but not 100%.

My part time job is to component level repair the MCB for the Pro-Form treadmill boards. Same principal your DC motor is PWM speed controlled via the console.

Topic author
Monkulas

Post by Monkulas »

MR2DI4 wrote: 13/10/18 0:03 Couldn't be 100% sure but I am 99% sure the pump is going to be PWM speed controlled by the pump ECU.

Essentially it uses your speed sensor so you have full assist when your parking but at about 120km/hr your pump is essentially turned off. In between you would have some sort of linear or otherwise ramping of the level of assist.

So putting in a pot and manually varying the speed is not really a replacement for the factory setup, so yes its working but not 100%.

My part time job is to component level repair the MCB for the Pro-Form treadmill boards. Same principal your DC motor is PWM speed controlled via the console.
Not really sure what you trying to achieve?. I'm just trying to help people whos P/S isn't working.

My method does work 100%. You will have a working P/S system.

You just have to set your pump speed.

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by notroubleclubber »

Id ignore MR2DI4 - he seems to argue about everything so always go with the majority.

I think it would be great (if the power steering worked in the first place - lol) to have this option of controlling the power steering via a pot but also be able to switch it to auto too.
I did look at doing this myself when i was having problems but i solved my issue which was the kmh/mph convertor not wired in correctly which affected the ps.
Still a great idea for someone who wants to control it themselves.

MR2BRU

Post by MR2BRU »

Monkulas wrote: 12/10/18 22:57 The motor controller should be able to handle 40-50amps. The pump draws alot of current under load/full lock.
Cheers, confirms what I had thought :th:

Topic author
Monkulas

Post by Monkulas »

Would be awesome if the P/S just worked.

As for using the factory speed sensor with the motor controller that would be sweet. But that's where my knowledge runs out.

People mentioned the use of a micro controller to control the pump speed in previous comments. I only have basic knowledge of circuits. I'm sure there are people on here that have extensive knowledge of the P/S ecu and its contented components.

I would love to see a solution that improves on mine in every way.

japmr2matt

Post by japmr2matt »

Planning on doing this to my mk2, really struggling to find a 0-12v motor controller. Anyone have a link or an idea where I'd get one. Many thanks

Topic author
Monkulas

Post by Monkulas »

japmr2matt

Post by japmr2matt »

Thank you

Topic author
Monkulas

Post by Monkulas »

:th:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”