Radiator Fan Switch

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
rainen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Radiator Fan Switch

Post by rainen »

Hopefully I can get a consensus answer on this one prior to calling Toyota parts tomorrow. Ive been told today that the sensor that sits in the radiator controlling the operation of the fans is the same for all models after the change to the oval shape connector from the round one (around 1993). Now I've also seen information that says they are two types, one for with AC and one for non AC. Now the wiring diagram supports this with two different sensors types for AC and non AC. So what's right? My gut feeling is we have two types. I bought a replacement one when building the car and with ignition on the fans run constantly. Managed to salvage my old one from the knackered radiator and that worked fine, no fans on with ignition. Need a new one now...

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Radiator Fan Switch

Post by MR2DI4 »

I would be testing the switch before getting a new one.

Chances are the switch controls a relay and the problem could be elsewhere.

Check the resistance at room temperature then throw it in boiling water for a few minutes and check it again.

Topic author
rainen

Post by rainen »

The switch works fine. I stripped the threads putting it back in after it was leaking. The threads were part knackered from when I cut it out of the old radiator. So I need a new one it's just working out if indeed there are two types and therefore buying the right one. Toyota parts will have the answer hopefully which might cost me a bit more in the long run.

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

It's quite probable there are two different types - particularly if you've found there are different connectors. Toyota are meticulous with part numbers, If the FORM-FIT-FUNCTION change, then it is a new part number.

I've tried looking on www.toyodiy.com but cannot seem to find it - only the Water Temp Sensor (EFI related) so not much help - which probably means I am not searching for the right term!
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
rainen

Post by rainen »

Yes I've been through the same stuff and nothing shows up for that sensor in the radiator.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

I can 100% confirm there are two different radiator temperature "sensors" (at least for rev3+ cars) because I went through this myself. There's a temperature-switch for non-AC and an actual sensor for from-factory AC cars. They have identical fitment so you won't know if you've got the wrong one when you fit it.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

If you do it the way Mr T intended then there is no problem...... You enter (Mr T will ask for it) your VIN number into the EPC and you will get the correct part number for your car. ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

rainen wrote:Yes I've been through the same stuff and nothing shows up for that sensor in the radiator.
It does, you just need to look the correct way ;)
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_199110 ... ?hl=88620C
NOTE
This link is for a JDM car, you NEED to enter your VIN to get the correct numbers
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
rainen

Post by rainen »

Thanks guys I thought they were different. Trying to look up the part on the epc that I downloaded to my pc. Having trouble driving it! TCB tried to convince me yesterday that they all had the same type based on their 27 years experience. Suppose it's not possible to have all the answers on the phone. Thanks again for your input most valuable.

Topic author
rainen

Post by rainen »

Thanks JIMI. Same link for me as mines a JAP as well. Never would have looked for a part called Thermo Switch Assy!! For future ref the part number for an AC car is 88625-17011.

Topic author
rainen

Post by rainen »

Well just phoned Mr T and that part has been discontinued for some time now. Did you buy a new one SHINNY and if so can you let me know what supplier you used?? Any help on this greatly appreciated as mines knackered and need another one. Suppose could try second hand if I can get hold of the right one. Help......

shinny

Post by shinny »

rainen wrote:Well just phoned Mr T and that part has been discontinued for some time now. Did you buy a new one SHINNY and if so can you let me know what supplier you used?? Any help on this greatly appreciated as mines knackered and need another one. Suppose could try second hand if I can get hold of the right one. Help......
I bought the non-AC one from Camskill (back when they did car parts) who weren't aware of the difference at the time and since updated their website to stock the AC part too. Once I'd worked out the difference, I think I lucked out and found someone on gumtree who happened to have an unused AC version so I bought that.

Topic author
rainen

Post by rainen »

Thanks. Been looking most of the afternoon. Can get it from the US but at a hefty price of £80 delivered! Nothing doing in the UK. Need to scout around for second one out of anyone scrapping a Rev3 with AC. However did manage to get my old one out of the aluminium rad by cutting round. Basically the outer parts of the aluminium rad is plactic. The thread is just moulded into the plastic with two rings of teeth that keep it in place. It was this ring that was running round in the plastic hence unable to get it out without cutting. Might be able to use it even though some of the threads have been damaged through two extractions now, the most being done last time getting it out of the old tin rad. With a new copper crush ring and some thread seal I might just get away with it.

shinny

Post by shinny »

I will be freeing up my own at some point soon... might be within three weeks, might be in three months (but not between the two)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”