Mr2-not ready to let it go UPDATE

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 2 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dinono10

Re: Mr2-not ready to let it go

Post by dinono10 »

Mate, if it's anything like mine at my school (secondary) the kids love it!.. Nearly every day a student makes a comment about my car... From have you got a ferrari sir? To.. You mist be rich!...

Haha... I wish.. I can't afford to run 2 cars.. It will be one or the other... However I won't get rid of the mr2 mainly because of sentimental reasons and because i love her..

I've only got a mr2 mk2 N/A.. But the bmw seems so quick compared to it. The bmw is 120d sport just a shame it isn't an mr2 and certainly doesn't look great haha..

Taking my mr2 to a garage tomorrow unfortunately I think there is alot wrong with it from small oil leak to damp carpets, rust, paint fading, suspension not being great but I love it!.. :sad: :D

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

My girlfriend has the same thing with her secondary students (English teacher) they all love her car - especially with the summer wheels on!

I cannot tell you what to do about a car with sentimental attachment (I'm probably the worst person to give advice on that front :laughing ). The good thing about these cars is that they're relatively cheap and easy to fix.

Good luck
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Monkulas
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Monkulas »

I still regret selling my MK2. Was doing 40 miles a day in it on the work run, did that for a year.

Never let me down, so fun to drive. Just being on minimum wage is almost impossible to look after or store the car so it had to go. (Same with my GT4)

Keep it, if you have the cash to do so.

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

I dropped off the car this morning to my local garage.

They have looked at it. There is no damage to the structure at all , it is in good condition obvioulsy there is surface rust. However, it needs 3 new tyres, brake pads, new alternator belt which I have asked them to do to the sum of £315.

It also needs a new radiator but seeing that it is a expensive job what with flushing/refilling coolant I have held off getting one yet as I simply cannot afford it with the purchase of the BMW.

All in all, I am happy that the car is in good shape and new tyres/brakes etc are nothing serious other than money leaving my wallet.

I need to buy a few bits for it as my indicators/rear light needs to be replaced however its all good. 153,000 miles so hopefully it can carry on abit longer. I only drive 10,000 miles a year :)

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :D
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

mr2stuff

Post by mr2stuff »

Glad you're getting things sorted and it's all good.

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

I picked up the car this evening. I've had quite abit done in regards to tyres/alternator. One worrying thing is, my new brake pads are spongy (the garage told me I need a new rear caliper). It's a little worrying as they aren't as responsive as I'd like. The bloke did say I'd need to bed them in however I won't be driving fast (not that I do anyway) as they don't feel great to be honest. :no:

They don't make the car stop on the dot like they should especially compared to the BMW and I don't expect that just would have preferred them to be a little sharper than they are.

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

You have PM.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

pjhrt
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14

Post by pjhrt »

dinono10 wrote: 06/04/18 17:08 I picked up the car this evening. I've had quite abit done in regards to tyres/alternator. One worrying thing is, my new brake pads are spongy (the garage told me I need a new rear caliper). It's a little worrying as they aren't as responsive as I'd like. The bloke did say I'd need to bed them in however I won't be driving fast (not that I do anyway) as they don't feel great to be honest. :no:

They don't make the car stop on the dot like they should especially compared to the BMW and I don't expect that just would have preferred them to be a little sharper than they are.
They'll not be as good as the Beemer as its an old car, and I always find new pads take a few miles to bed in. Nothing to worry about, IMHO.

By the way, the kids at my school DO love my car....but I'm not such a fan of the huge single exit exhaust droning away as I park up! Will be getting rid once I've sorted lots of other bits out...

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 06/04/18 18:16 You have PM.
Pm received and reply sent

quicktune
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by quicktune »

No you are not mad. I have the same problem. My GT-Limited had been in dry storage for some time now, but I never let go of the MR2 MKII. The other day I decided to get it out of the garage and get a MOT. After being stored for some time, it required a little work. I am driving a Smart for two at the moment. Yes, that will make quite a few of you feel a bit sick!
As I drove my 28 year old, 118,000 on the clock MR2 to the MOT centre, the driving experience was breathtaking. Especially compared to what I am driving now! It was so much fun to drive that even before I got to the garage, I had decided to pay for any work and put the MR2 back on the road.
So, when you question your sanity, I am with you brother!
I cannot advise on your particular MR2, but when it comes to trying to leave it behind, well, I can see your problem and it is a very real one.
No, you are not mad.

Quicktune
Last edited by quicktune on 09/04/18 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
dinono10

Post by dinono10 »

In the middle of doing an oil change and noticed quite a bit of rust on the driver's side door. To the point there is a little hole. Everything is weak in that area and I'm sure if I pushed my finger, the hole would get worse.

I'm feeling kind of defeated now and maybe the car is going to be a money pit.

There are certainly other areas of the car with rust bubbling. For example the wheel arches but none as bad as the drivers door unfortunately.

Not sure what to do. I can't afford to keep repairing the car and I know the problem of rust is going to get worse.

Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

Sorry to hear that dude, the rust is going to be everyone's big challenge now. Several members are starting to notice their doors rotting along the bottom so your not the only one (I've just replaced both of my doors). The best bet if its quite far gone will be to source replacements and cover the insides with waxoil (or similar) while making sure the drain holes are clear.

Inevitably the sills and arches can also go as well particularly if the car is kept outside. If it means that much to you (which I totally understand) then possibly consider taking it off the road and storing it until you can put together the money to sort it properly. The cost of keeping any old car on the road can be very limiting.... Good luck! :th:
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

Kyyanno
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Kyyanno »

I'm also suffering with the door rust issue, but my plan is either to get it professionally patched/repaired and resprayed, or just source non-rusty doors/skins and fit them - I love this car too damn much! When the big end bearings went on it's last engine (was a 3SGE, happened 3 times), rather than scrap the car I sold my XKR to raise funds for an engine transplant and other bits of work. That's how much these things can mean.

Obviously it's down to you as to how much you're willing to spend to keep it on the road, but when you think of selling, also think about when you're out driving it on a twisty, country road.

How much is that big grin worth? :D
Show & Shine winner - March '14

1991 Rev 1 G-Limited (Super Edition! Yay stickers! :D ) with Rogue Rev 3 Turbo engine conversion, n/a Mongoose exhaust, HKS filter & BOV.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 2 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”