Electric window on driver side will not wind up

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
adenbakker
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Electric window on driver side will not wind up

Post by adenbakker »

Hello from a happy new owner of a 1991 MK2, but with a minor problem: the window switch on the drivers side (LHD in this case) will function to lower the window, but I cannot raise the window any more with the switch, so it is now stuck open, The drivers switch for the passenger window works fine as does the passenger window switch. 2 questions:
Short term solution: any way to get the window back up (eg bypassing the switch)?
Long term remedy - New switch? where do I get one?

Thanks for your help!
Andrew den Bakker (NL)

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Electric window on driver side will not wind up

Post by benckj »

Can be switch but more than likely it’s a broken wire in the loom. For short term issue I pop off door card and jumper 12v onto motor plug to raise window. Long term the loom has to be removed and wires repaired. Could try to flex loom at door hinge point with trying switch to see if it will work!

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Never had a problem with the switches or wiring in mine, the whole window regulator which is the metalwork attached to the glass to move it up and down just metal fatigues and falls to bits or jams. The bolts holding it also work loose over time which has the effect of artificially loading the mounting points which doesn't help.

The first thing I would check is this and that all the bolts are up tight.

Don't try and weld it just get a whole new regulator from Toyota.

Topic author
adenbakker
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by adenbakker »

After removing the cover panel and detaching the switching unit, I removed a M3 ~20mm long copper coloured column screw from the underside of the connector - without this screw the driver side window now operates (down and up), but the "remote" control of the passenger window is now disabled (the switch on the passenger side is still functional).
So: 1) no break in the wiring, 2) window regulator still works and 3) somehow the switch internal seems faulty. Are there replacement parts (ie switch unit) still to be sourced somewhere?
Apologies for my questions - I'm new to the MR2 (although I have a great fan for along time)

Benjamin1973!
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Benjamin1973! »

In my experience, easiest order to work in is;

1 check window lock off!

2 check fuse!

3 clean contact points on both drivers and passenger switches, they get easily 'sooted' up and cause intermittent functioning.

4 take door card off, run 12v direct to window, connection one way will be up, reverse wires and down. This will tell you if mechanism or electric motor the problem.

5 If 4 works then investigate wire loom in hinge for broken wires, BOTH passenger and drivers door as wiring goes through drivers switch panel.

6 None of that works, give up, have cuppa and call your mechanic...

alsands_mr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by alsands_mr2 »

First of all check the window lock switch has not been pressed accidentally, I speak from experience. lol
www.phoenixcarclub.org / members cars.
Alan & Sandra

Love thy Neighbour........But Dont Get Caught

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Benjamin1973! wrote: 08/06/19 10:41
1 check window lock off!
alsands_mr2 wrote: 08/06/19 18:33 First of all check the window lock switch has not been pressed accidentally, I speak from experience. lol
This overlooks the fact that the OP's problem is with the driver's door window.
The window lock switch only prevents operation of the one on the passenger side.

One less thing to check.

If it does turn out be a broken wire in the loom at the door hinge this may be helpful.
http://www.stephenmason.com/cars/mr2doorwire.html
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”