Fitted an HKS turbo Timer and correct harness yesterday but....

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Fitted an HKS turbo Timer and correct harness yesterday but....

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Plugged everything in and all working, voltmeter, you can set whatever time you want before the car switches off altogether but....

When I switch the car off it immediately switches off regardless of what period of countdown I choose.

Now I'm pretty sure it's because I never fitted the brown wire to the handbrake wire/switch that cuts all power immediately if someone where to jump in your car while it's on it's countdown period and release the parking brake. Other turbo timers o have fitted have cut the engine completely as soon as somebody tries to move the car.

I've fitted a few of these to my turbos cars in the past and never had to connect anything other than the Plug and Play harness.

My question is, is there anyway to bypass having to remove more trim and splice in this handbrake wire? Could this same brown handbrake wire not just be connected to a switched live or similar?

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Re: Fitted an HKS turbo Timer and correct harness yesterday but....

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Ok, I'll try a different approach.

Can anyone advise me on how to access and locate the correct handbrake wire?

And please, no smarmy keyboard tough guy responses like the usual butthurt friends of a certain trader on the IMOC forum.

benckj

Post by benckj »

I've fitted an HKS timer and never connected up the handbrake wire so I doubt if it will make a difference. Mine is a slightly older version than yours but functionality should be the same.

To get into the handbrake cable pull the centre console or if you lazy you can access easily through the shifter segment. This can be simply popped free with a flat head screw driver and wiggled off to the side to allow access. Should be able to see wire on RHS near brake.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Had someone fit an alarm to my car that already had a turbo timer in it. The whole thing turned into a bit of a mission even for him and all he did was car alarms.

Worked pretty well, the turbo timer also kicks in both of the radiator fans but one thing I did notice like 10 years later when I increased the fuel pressure was that because of either the timer or the alarm relay was briefly killing power to the ECU the car was in fact running the cold start injector at the beginning of the timer period. I added a couple of capacitors to the 12V supply at the ECU to hold up the power for the 20msec it took for the relay to switch. Problem solved the engine stopped hesitation because it was too rich.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

benckj wrote: 08/10/18 2:45 I've fitted an HKS timer and never connected up the handbrake wire so I doubt if it will make a difference. Mine is a slightly older version than yours but functionality should be the same.

To get into the handbrake cable pull the centre console or if you lazy you can access easily through the shifter segment. This can be simply popped free with a flat head screw driver and wiggled off to the side to allow access. Should be able to see wire on RHS near brake.

Thanks, I popped the gearshift gaitor off and on the right hand side I can see wires routed through a plastic protective sheath/guide. Is this what I'm looking for and if so which wire?

benckj

Post by benckj »

I'm not sure which wire but BGB should be of some help. See if you can look up circuit and colour wire. I never connected mine up so can't recall myself.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Spliced in the wire to the handbrake wire and it works perfectly, did this weeks ago btw. :)

Just thought I'd post up.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”