How straightforward is it to DIY the clutch on an SW20?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
FirstMidship
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: How straightforward is it to DIY the clutch on an SW20?

Post by FirstMidship »

A friend of mine is able to lend me his engine crane for the foreseeable future - so I will hopefully be picking this up this week.

Apparently the crane is good for a ton, so I could actually lift the whole car up with it and drop the engine from underneath, if I wanted to - provided there is something strong enough on the car to lift it from! Seems easier on the MK3 than the MK2 but perhaps I am over complicating it.

I do need to fully assemble the engine crane though to find out how far the legs splay out and if my garage can accommodate - that's the next concern! If I don't fully extend the legs out, it will only be good for 1/2 a ton or 1/4 of a ton, at which point it could rock forwards if I'm not careful and the car could come crashing down :facepalm:

Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 5 NA (1999)

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

You can lift the car using the towing eyes and a strap . Blanket to prevent cutting into bumper. Front wheels on blocks as when you lift the rear the front lip will go towards the floor.
I lowered the engine onto dolly the just lifted the car high enough to roll it out the side.

Just remember to drain the gearbox oil whilst still in the car as it's easier. Also undo the fill plug before draining so know it comes undone and will be able to refill. A couple of new driveshaft seals might be prudent also.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
FirstMidship

Post by FirstMidship »

Thanks for your reply Abovetherim!

I'll hopefully be getting the engine crane by Friday this week then I can put it together and go from there.

Apart from the wiring loom, coolant pipes, fuel pipes and the gear linkage, is there anything else I need to be careful or aware of when removing the engine? I think the Clifford alarm system may also be attached to the door locks, ECU and onto the starter motor, so I probably will need to be aware of that.

I'm worried about damaging something in the process of engine removal!

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Use to be some good links showing step by step process to remove engine but they are all dead now. If I could find one of my hardcopies I’ll upload for you.

I would not use the engine crane as a sole lifting device. Use your scissors jack to raise car and jackstands to secure to sill rail. I also raise the front slightly and place wheels on a 6x2 with block nailed to front to act as a chock. Helps having it raised a little to get underneath .

Probably the big decision to make before starting is if you plan to pull wheels and axles first to allow more head room. If you do then the whole chassis frame can be removed which allows better access to undercarriage and less headroom required for engine / trans pull. As mentioned above draining the fluids first reduces the mess and reduces weight.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Engine crane is fine as long as it's rated for it, as is the strap you use. I think the one I've used on multiple occasions is rated at 1.5T or 2T, so more than adequate for the job.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

benckj wrote: 10/12/18 17:43 Use to be some good links showing step by step process to remove engine but they are all dead now. If I could find one of my hardcopies I’ll upload for you.
:confused1: :confused1: :confused1:
There's a perfectly good "How To" with pictures in "Know Your 2" https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your2/mk2/ ... hange.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

Before you start disconnect the battery.

Take photos of the wiring routing and connections and the vac lines. I also use a bit of masking tape and label everything also.

The exhaust may fight you so start spraying bolts with penetrant now.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

The KY2 article I posted a link to starts with parking the car and leads you through the engine removal / refit process, step by step (including disconnecting the battery) and with pictures. All in all it's a very comprehensive write up :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
FirstMidship

Post by FirstMidship »

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I now have an engine crane on permanent loan from a friend as of last week :D - until I don't need it anymore. However, I don't think it's going to fit in my garage fully extended - unless I move things around a bit, it really is cluttered.

The engine crane is rated for 1 ton, so it could probably lift the whole car over the engine if I pivot on the front wheels - though when half extended it is nearer to 500 kg which is plenty for just the engine. I do need to find a time to do the timing belt and clutch though - as the MR2 will be off the road for an extended period of time - and might have to wait until May when my exams are finished as I didn't sort myself out with a crane until term started :facepalm:

I better pray my timing belt and clutch don't go before hand as I have no way to visually inspect the timing belt unless I take most of the stuff around the timing cover off! Thankfully my clutch isn't slipping or causing problems at the moment!!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”