Exhaust smoke

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
timnutt

Exhaust smoke

Post by timnutt »

Hi,

Well the good news is that after re-installing the engine, it started and there are no oil or coolant leaks :clapping:

However, at tickover I get some visible exhaust smoke, not black, but blue/white. And when I increased the revs the quantity of smoke increased.

I turned it off fairly quickly to check under the car for any issues, so I didn't let it run up to running temperature, which I will do later this evening - Also, I haven't set the timing yet as my timing gun is broken, but I doubt that will help...

It had a new head gasket and the head was torqued down using the correct pattern and torque.

Thoughts?
Thanks
TimN

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Exhaust smoke

Post by benckj »

It may clear up after run in but I’d do a compression check to be sure on numbers.

Topic author
timnutt

Re: Exhaust smoke

Post by timnutt »

Hi,
I ran it up to temperature, and while it helped a little, I noticed some smoke coming from around the turbo and exhaust manifold. When I increase the throttle there is a large amount of smoke (blue/white) coming from the exhaust. So I'm guessing the seals on the turbo have blown... Is that a fair assumption? Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks
Tim

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”