Headlights not working

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Jellysenpai

Headlights not working

Post by Jellysenpai »

Hi all, I have a rev 2 turbo and on my way to work I turned my headlights off because there was ample street lights, when I tried turning the dibbed beams on again, nothing and no main beams or passing light either. I was hoping it was a fuse but that would mean only one shouldnt work, I checked them anyways and all seem fine so Im assuming its relay r2 in the frunk. My problem is Im not sure how to remove and dont wanna break it, at least until I find a replacement. Any idea how to remove them or am I just not pulling hard enough xD

Thank you for any help

Topic author
Jellysenpai

Re: Headlights not working

Post by Jellysenpai »

Turns out both my bulbs bust and ones melted and swollen. Ill change them and hope the next doesnt suffer the same fate. I measured 15v in the line to the headlights

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abovetherim »

Check the reading on the battery with the engine running. If that is 15v also then it's time for a replacement alternator
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
Jellysenpai

Post by Jellysenpai »

I checked the voltage and its 14v when the engines off and 16v with the engine running. Guess Ill start looking for a replacement alternator

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Jellysenpai wrote: 26/12/18 14:56 I checked the voltage and its 14v when the engines off and 16v with the engine running. Guess Ill start looking for a replacement alternator
before you do if you are reading 14v with engine off I suspect your meter is reading high. you should only get max 12.4v with engine not running...i.e. standard battery voltage.

and if that is the case 16v becomes 14v and that is right for alternator output with engine running
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Jellysenpai

Post by Jellysenpai »

Im suspecting its the multimeter too so am gonna try test my other cars too and see if I can borrow a friends to double check. Thanks for the confirmation :D

Topic author
Jellysenpai

Post by Jellysenpai »

peteV6R5 wrote: 26/12/18 23:42
before you do if you are reading 14v with engine off I suspect your meter is reading high. you should only get max 12.4v with engine not running...i.e. standard battery voltage.

and if that is the case 16v becomes 14v and that is right for alternator output with engine running
You were right, I changed the multimeters battery and its reading 12.4v, I think the voltmeter is still reading a little high so might be time for a new one.

Thank you for all the help

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”