New replacement windscreen

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
APDevelopments

New replacement windscreen

Post by APDevelopments »

Hi Guys.
The windscreen on my MK2 mr2 sw20 is very old.
Loads of scratches, small stone chips etc on it.
Quite difficult to see where your going in the dark as it’s so scratched and pitted.
I’m considering a replacement.
Can you still get a brand new windscreen and rubber moulding for a MK2 mr2?
If so where’s a good place to get one? Unlike auto glass who state it’s no longer available. Or more like they just don’t want to know.
Many thanks
:th:
Attachments
A641A2D6-1F75-4E1D-9931-62B5AD572DA6.jpeg

OllieT
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: New replacement windscreen

Post by OllieT »

Unsure on the screen but MR2BEN definitely stocks the genuine Toyota rubber moulded trim.

Very surprised autoglass wont help, thats disappointing

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Autoglass have done mine a few times (and others) after highland drive...thats surprising they say they dont.
they always said they can get them made, have asked that question a few times
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

rgb
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 21
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by rgb »

try a different firm cause they are available I got one two months ago I cant remember who did it cause the spray shop did it. make sure you get the right tint. put a sheet of white paper on the inside and youll see what colour it is .get the proper Toyota seal or they'll fob you off with big fat universal one which looks rubbish. get in on your insurance.

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by gavsdavs »

Green tints maybe, bronze tints are difficult. Try and source and assess any replacement before you permit the removal of what's there.

Also - if the screen has never been out, it's not unusual for there to be corrosion in the screen aperture which will need cleaning up and the glass people will refuse to fit a new one if there is.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

You could put out a wanted as as there may be the odd heated screen stashed in someone's garage from an old group buy. Not sure of the tint but the idea of a heated screen for all year motoring appeals to me just not enough for me to warrant replacing my reasonably good condition screen.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

APDevelopments wrote: 23/12/18 0:17 Unlike auto glass who state it’s no longer available.
Utter bovine excrement. See below.
APDevelopments wrote: 23/12/18 0:17 Or more like they just don’t want to know.
^^This^^

The customer facing people peddle this B/S because the correct seal is more difficult to fit and so takes longer. Which means one less job that the operative can do that day = less income/profit.

Auotoglass replaced mine (on T2) after a f*****g great stone impacted it earlier this year. Being originally a UK n/a made things easier as the correct tint screen for a JDM import is more difficult to source.

Regarding the seal, I made the mistake of not being present for the whole duration of the job and only found out after it was finished that he had used the 'universal' type one which doesn't fit properly, overlaps the paintwork, and looks generally sh1te. This despite my telling Autoglass up front that I wanted the correct OEM style seal. I refused to sign the completion docket (techie wasn't too happy about that) and immediately rang my insurer (who was paying for it, minus the excess) and insited that it be changed.

A different techie came out the very next day. I learned from him that Autoglass has separate area teams which deal with remedial issues and he was tasked with those jobs only. He actually did the whole (more difficult) task faster than the first guy. I was duly impressed with his professionalism and the fast response.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”