Tips for purchasing SORN Mk2?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
SensibleInvestment

Tips for purchasing SORN Mk2?

Post by SensibleInvestment »

Hello,

I have read through the Buyers Check List https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... kbartid=87 And been through a few Buyers guide posts.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for buying these cars when they have been off the road for a year or more.

I am very interested in buying a Mk2 to restore for a project, however while the buyers guide provides a very good insight for what to look out for, a SORN vehicle is arguably harder to check when the engine may or may not start, so rattling/engine checking is hard.

Have seen a few for sale online that usually have the description of "Probably just needs a new battery" HCB005 battery I believe? But does anyone have any experience/advice for this? Are there any blaring issues I should look out for?

Thanks.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Tips for purchasing SORN Mk2?

Post by abovetherim »

If it's been sitting without running then best take a fresh battery or jump pack and a compression tester. Then you can pull the plugs and compression check. This will show up any internal problems like head gasket or stuck rings or valve issues.
If you try to start the car be wary of the age of the petrol. It may be rank and cause terrible running.
When first cranking for the compression check you can see how quick oil light goes out also
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

Brakes tend to seize on these when not used so need to check this

Other than that then usual checks that you would do for any sorned motor

Wheelnut

Post by Wheelnut »

Buy one that runs. You will have enough other stuff to fix without sorting the
engine as well. My project had been stood for 18mths but drove it up and down his drive to check the clutch etc.

nick

Post by nick »

Rust! Rust Rust!

Mechanically pretty robust. Sound shell and body are key. Above comments make good sense as well.

Topic author
SensibleInvestment

Post by SensibleInvestment »

Thank you very much for the advice guys, have now picked one up!

Started a post here https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/167334.html

The biggest amounts of rust are middle/driver side T-Bar, and the engine brace (Due to no engine lid....cover?)

The Sills, suspension, etc, is all fairly rust free/surface rust.

FirstMidship
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by FirstMidship »

Looking forward to seeing that!

My MR2 was off road for 3-4 years. A charged battery got it started but I had to replace the alternator [seized], battery [dead] and belt, as there was no belt!

I had one hole on the outer sill on the passenger side but it was solid otherwise. I also had to replace the light clusters on the front, a pop up motor, windscreen wiper blades, headlamp units, some bulbs, the horns and do a filter, spark plug and oil service before I deemed it roadworthy. Passed with some advisories which I still need to sort.

The brakes and alternator really are the biggest bug bears on the MK2s but otherwise they are solid for the most part.

Well done for stopping another MR2 going to the scrap heap :D
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 5 NA (1999)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”