Whining noise from from wheel

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
harri46

Whining noise from from wheel

Post by harri46 »

Hi All.

Just recently started having a whining sound coming from one of the front wheels. I took it to a garage who didn't think it was a wheel bearing so suggested having the tracking done as my tyres were wearing unevenly. Had the tracking done but the noise is still there and is gradually getting worse.

When I had the tracking done at a tyre centre they said the strut on the same wheel was leaking badly.

Does anybody know what the problem might be, it doesn't do it all the time but intermittently.

I appreciate it might indeed be a bearing, but could it be the leaking strut causing the noise?

My car is rev1 1991 reg.

Be grateful for any advice.

Darren

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Whining noise from from wheel

Post by MR2DI4 »

Check your brake pads have not worn down to the squeal indicator steel tab for starters.

Could be even more of a problem, part of the pad could be worn down to the steel, could explain why its getting worse.

Check it quick or it toasts your rotors.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

If you find a clear car park and do a couple of figure 8s that will tell you if the bearing is on the way out as it will whine when the bearing is loaded or released depending on its wear.

Could be the brake pads or just a stone stuck in them.

As to the shocks tcbparts sell replacement inserts cheap so replace both sides and after a 4 wheel alignment the handling will be transformed.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
harri46

Post by harri46 »

Hi, thanks for advice.

I took it to a garage yesterday, guy reckons it could be binding brakes - something I have had an issue with in the past. Said the brake pads are OK.

Will try the figure of eights in the meantime before I take it in for repair.

Thanks again for all advice, really appreciated.

Darren

S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by S81933 »

I had a binding caliper on mine a while back. Jack the front up, one side at a time will do, and try spinning the wheel. If it feels stiff then that could well be your problem.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”