Recommendations for servicing item order

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
marleyrules

Recommendations for servicing item order

Post by marleyrules »

Morning chaps,

Just joined the OC and hoping some of you seasoned MR2 veterans can offer some advice to a humble amateur mechanic.

I've just picked up a fairly rough 1993 2.0 MK2, always wanted one and was offered a silly price so gladly took the plunge. Whilst mechanically it seems sound, aesthetically it needs some work.

I've seen mention on the forums of a slightly lumpy idle, maybe an inconsistent misfire. Mine does seem to be suffering from this and whilst it still drives great i'm going to give it a complete service just to see if this addresses the issue.

What i'll be doing next Saturday:
- Draining and changing the engine oil
- Changing the oil filter
- Changing the spark plugs
- Draining and changing the coolant fluid. (thinking about a radiator change too)
- Potentially changing or at least cleaning the air filter, as an induction kit will be inbound shortly.

Other than the obvious with regards to having oil in the engine, do you have a recommended order for doing these?

Thanks in advance!

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Recommendations for servicing item order

Post by TonyleFrog »

marleyrules wrote: 22/01/19 10:29 Other than the obvious with regards to having oil in the engine, do you have a recommended order for doing these?
- Draining and changing the engine oil - 2
- Changing the oil filter -2
- Changing the spark plugs - 1
- Draining and changing the coolant fluid. (thinking about a radiator change too) - 4
- Potentially changing or at least cleaning the air filter, as an induction kit will be inbound shortly - 3

Always do the simplest job first.
You get the satisfaction of having accomplished something and there is one less still to do.
Then the most beneficial for the health of your car.

Welcome to the OC. :)
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
marleyrules

Post by marleyrules »

Thank you!

It will be a labor of love over this coming summer, so here's hoping for the weather of 2018.

cosmos
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by cosmos »

Pull off the big pipe on the throttle body and check for a build up of rubbish before the butterfly. Advice get some wheel chocks if little used and only use the handbrake when absolutely necessary err MOT. Later remove rear side panels behind seats and extract the foam inserts that Toyota fitted behind and down of seatbelt reel, they get damp etc and promote rust below them.

Good luck.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

OP, as well as the throttle body, remove and check the IACV.
The aperture can get crudded up* so that the flap doesn't move freely.
If so, carb cleaner is your friend.

* Example before and after pics c/o MR2Jay.

Vid showing free movement @0:22 -
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

While your in the engine bay, you may want to check the coil mounted on the trunk bulkhead as these get cracks and cn cause the issues your having too. If you do remove the coil, give the bracket a good rub down and clean as it earths through it.

Topic author
marleyrules

Post by marleyrules »

TonyleFrog wrote: 23/01/19 6:49 OP, as well as the throttle body, remove and check the IACV.
The aperture can get crudded up* so that the flap doesn't move freely.
If so, carb cleaner is your friend.
Very helpful thank you, i'll definitely take a look at this.

Topic author
marleyrules

Post by marleyrules »

notroubleclubber wrote: 23/01/19 20:58 While your in the engine bay, you may want to check the coil mounted on the trunk bulkhead as these get cracks and cn cause the issues your having too. If you do remove the coil, give the bracket a good rub down and clean as it earths through it.
I think i'm being thick, any chance you could provide a picture to the area in question?

Every check I can do, I will do, but being a very amateur mechanic i'm worried about causing any damage!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”