Lambda Sensor wiring

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Jellysenpai

Lambda Sensor wiring

Post by Jellysenpai »

I've owned my turbo for about 2 months and have noticed unplugged connectors in the engine bay. While changing the oil I realised one of them was the lambda sensor, where would I find the connector to plug this back in and am I doing any damage apart from running rich?

Thanks for any help. Ill have a search for the connector again but its fairly hard to see under all the piping.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Lambda Sensor wiring

Post by MR2DI4 »

The O2 sensor in the MK2 is actually a bit of a mess.

For starters if its the single wire version like mine, they rely on the body of the O2 sensor to make the earth connection which after many years and rusty fasteners and rusty interfaces between pipes you can find it pretty well perfectly insulated.

The sensor itself has a limited life and the response time of it drops and it should be replaced every 100,000km.

It needs to be working or the ECU will just take a default rich setting and the car will run like s%@t.

Topic author
Jellysenpai

Post by Jellysenpai »

It looks to be a single wire, its a rev2 turbo. It makes more sense as I think about it as it lurches at low rpm or when you let off the throttle so I'll need to start looking into this. The wiring seems a mess as Im finding cut wires and and unplugged stuff by the kick panel fuse box. If only the weather was warmer.

Topic author
Jellysenpai

Post by Jellysenpai »

MR2DI4 wrote: 22/01/19 21:24 The O2 sensor in the MK2 is actually a bit of a mess.

For starters if its the single wire version like mine, they rely on the body of the O2 sensor to make the earth connection which after many years and rusty fasteners and rusty interfaces between pipes you can find it pretty well perfectly insulated.

The sensor itself has a limited life and the response time of it drops and it should be replaced every 100,000km.

It needs to be working or the ECU will just take a default rich setting and the car will run like s%@t.
Did some diggy and realised why I could never find where it plugs in, the plug (engine wire harness side) has broken off so both parts were plugged together but the wires broken and somewhere in there. Is it possible to change part of the harness?

Plus side if this is the car running like crap then I cant wait to get it sorted :D

Does anyone have a picture of where the wire it plugs into runs off to so I can look for it?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”