No BOV Rev 2

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

No BOV Rev 2

Post by Sonac »

I have the stock recirculating valve on my Rev 2 and want to install a blanking plate so I can get the more desirable flutter sound.
(Before anyone says it... its been 100% proven time and time again that it causes no damage to the turbo at all).

I understand you can't put a atmospheric BOV on because of AFM. But is a blanking plate okay since the metered air is staying inside the system?

Also does anyone know a good cheap blanking plate that I can buy inside the UK?

- Thanks

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Re: No BOV Rev 2

Post by MR2DI4 »

Well I'm going to say it, good luck with that. You need to understand the mechanics of why no BOV is causing that sound and what its doing to the turbine.There is no way I would go there with a ceramic turbine, but hey its your car so I don't really give a "censored" when your turbo goes bang.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by Sonac »

You are confusing compressor surge which happens when accelerating with the flutter as you come off the throttle. The former is damaging and is caused when the turbo is making too much boost and the engine can't use all the air. This is because the compressor is chopping air while under high load from the exhaust side. This only happens when you have the incorrect size turbo for your setup.

What i'm after is the flutter when come off the throttle which is what happens when you run no BOV. The turbine is under no load so when the blades chop the air it simply slows the turbine down faster. There is no damage caused by it at all. Thousands and thousands of people run no BOV setups and after taking apart the turbines and inspecting them there is no shaft play or any kind of damage whatsoever.

It's a very common misconception often exacerbated by people who are misinformed and go around trying to give advice which is very easy on the Internet.

I wouldn't do it if I thought it was in any way going to damage my car. But i'm really here just to discuss the MR2's AFM system which i'm unfamiliar with.

Thanks for your input anyway.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Face Palm.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

As you are not allowing any air to escape with BOV delete the AFM will not be effected. Can simply test the system by pinching off the vacuum line that controls BOV.

On the to do or not do debate I have run without a BOV for 5 years on both an OEM ct20b and aftermarket TD05SL2 turbos. No problems at all and would never go back to using one.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”