ASSISTANCE PLEASE...Buying MR2 turbo.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
PaddyKerr

ASSISTANCE PLEASE...Buying MR2 turbo.

Post by PaddyKerr »

I am going to look at, and hopefully buy a 1994 mr2 turbo jdm import this weekend.
However I have noticed that the car I am looking at is apparently 1994 on tax book and was imported in 1999 but everything about it suggests that it is a rev2?
I am very confused by this as surely during import the vin was checked etc and I don’t understand how this could be the case as as far as I was aware the rev3 started in 1993?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and I apologise if this is the wrong way to go about posting on this as I created this account 2 mins ago.
Attachments
DA91F4DE-2875-4421-A59F-4280694628F7.jpeg
16BCBDF6-49C8-4C9F-B128-071231C553AE.jpeg
04CB98DD-7753-48C5-B412-1BD9A06F4899.jpeg
EE956D8B-90EE-4BE4-963A-ABA79862577D.jpeg
69FC3F21-8959-4E2E-9F75-DE99CD92B38F.jpeg
F0F762D3-ACD7-4EF4-95C7-F99E45123AA4.jpeg

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: ASSISTANCE PLEASE...Buying MR2 turbo.

Post by notroubleclubber »

Thats a rev 2 turbo engine going by the afm. Possibly a rev 1 but cant see the inlet properly.

Its not uncommon for the dvla to mess up when importing

Topic author
PaddyKerr

Post by PaddyKerr »

No problem thanks so much.
Can I ask what I need to look for when I’m there in person to make sure?

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

The dateless NI VRM doesn't help. Another clue though is the Rev 2 rear spoiler.

Take a screen print out of this with you - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... kbartid=98
Then first check the VIN plate in the frunk. It's on the front bulkhead ahead of the spare wheel so you'll need to crane your neck or be adept a reading things upside down.
:)

Bear in mind that a JDM VIN plate will not have the JT163 prefix: that is only found on UK cars.
The SW20 bit is the model number. It's only the last 6 digits which are really relevant.

While you're there the next step is to ask to see the V5C then check the dates on the inside page.
B ought to be the date it was first registered - i.e. in Japan. (B.1) is in the UK.
They should be different. The DVLA can mess up the one in B.
Often from incorrectly completed import paperwork or bureaucratic error.

Obviously the VIN plate number on the V5C should match the one on the plate in the frunk. ;)
I once viewed a car where it didn't! It had been reshelled and someone had stuffed up.
Whether by accident or design I don't know as I walked away without bothering to ask.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
PaddyKerr

Post by PaddyKerr »

Very detailed response thank you very much mate.
I’ll be sure to check that.

iPhoenixV
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by iPhoenixV »

Great and accurate answer Tony - Took the words out of my mout... keyboard

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Apart from its generation model type there is lots of add on rice bits installed. Be wary of cars like this as the owners rarely look after the important maintenance items that are important.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

benckj wrote: 29/03/19 18:06 Apart from its generation model type there is lots of add on rice bits installed. Be wary of cars like this as the owners rarely look after the important maintenance items that are important.
As above, looks tidy but has all the boy racer bits in the engine bay that do nothing for the performance. That said its almost impossible to pick up a mint stock car these days.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”