MR2 engine swop and electrical questions

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
matty36

MR2 engine swop and electrical questions

Post by matty36 »

Good evening all, first time posting on here but ive been fairly active on the facebook group. Thought id post here to give the people of facebook a break. APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE FOR THE TERRIBLY LONG WINDED DESCRIPTION PLEASE BEAR WITH ME.

Right, ive put a rev3 N/A import engine in my rev2 N/A UK spec car. This included the ECU, new one has 4 plugs, old one had 3, since putting it all back together ive now got no engine light on the dash, no fuel pump and a huge 1 AMP current draw. I can make it run by bridging the terminals in the diag plug, fairly poorly though.

The current draw goes when i disconnect the 2 big plugs of the ECU, also just unplugging the ACIS VSV brings the draw down to about .6 A. Its very hot when plugged in. When the EFI fuse is unplugged is has the same affect. The fuse had blown somewhere in between swapping engines. Its a 15A fuse.

I suspect this is all related to the fact that the car wont run without the bridge and runs "censored" when it does run.

As far as i know everything else is working - speedo, rev counter, alternator, lights etc. Ive checked all fuses i can find and tested the EFI relay. I have continuity between ECU wiring and EFI plug and main relay plug. Although one plug from the ECU has continuity to 3 pins on the EFI plug.

Im really struggling with it now and want my car back on the road! I am a mechanic so have tried lots already but id imagine theres loads of bits ive overlooked so any suggestions will be gratefully recieved.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”