Gearbox issue, no 5th or reverse

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Gearbox issue, no 5th or reverse

Post by Sonac »

I was driving home from Gatwick earlier and as I was shifting into 2nd the car shuddered pretty bad and started making a scraping metal sound. I've since lost 5th gear and reverse. Although I can on the odd occasion get into reverse but it takes a fair bit of doing and a good 5 minutes of time.

I heard from a few other threads that 5th gear is a common problem with this car and it shares a syncro with reverse.

Do you think this is my issue? And how easy of a repair is it?

I'll leave a couple videos below of my issue for reference:

The sound: https://youtu.be/3NaVF0rMOIM
The gears: https://youtu.be/9VAmOWdJnAs

Cheers

It's a rev2 tubby btw.
Last edited by Sonac on 24/06/19 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Re: Gearbox issue, no 5th or reverse

Post by abovetherim »

Before condemning the gearbox it may well be clutch related. Collapsed thrust bearing or broken/bent finger on the pressure plate.

Unfortunately the only way to know is to whip the box off.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

abovetherim wrote: 23/06/19 23:29 Before condemning the gearbox it may well be clutch related. Collapsed thrust bearing or broken/bent finger on the pressure plate.

Unfortunately the only way to know is to whip the box off.
Well surely if its clutch related then my other gears would be affected too? 1st though 4th works as beautifully as it ever has. I've driven it about 30 miles in this condition on my way home and I even did a quick full throttle pull through all 4 gears. No problem at all.

I'm reasonably certain its not clutch related. But to be honest I just want my car working again so i'm going to speak to my mechanic tomorrow. It's gonna cost me so much money but I just want it fixed.

Thanks for the input though. I invite all ideas.

Absu

Post by Absu »

Drain your gearbox oil and see what it looks like,if it silver or golden in colour then you have a problem.

Also 5th gear can be replaced without removing the gearbox,Toyota sells upgraded gear and the bearing.

cosmos
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by cosmos »

Linkages perhaps ? the square brass ones can wear at the gearbox end of gear change cables you can reposition by rotating them 90 degrees to rectify, there are two, one could affect 1st and 5th at a guess.

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

cosmos wrote: 30/06/19 23:08 Linkages perhaps ? the square brass ones can wear at the gearbox end of gear change cables you can reposition by rotating them 90 degrees to rectify, there are two, one could affect 1st and 5th at a guess.
Already replaced linkages.

With all the horrible scraping metal and grinding sounds coming from the gear box even in neutral with the clutch disengaged there is something borked in there for sure. I was reading some posts here and on other forums and other people seem to have had the same symptoms as me and it always ended up with the 5th gear syncro being destroyed in there.

There is also oil spewing out the CV joint which is nice. I managed to drive it up to my mechanic today. He is gonna drop the gearbox and i'm taking it to Steve at Rotherfield gearboxes near me. He is going to rebuild it.

Also where are these brass cubes people keep telling me about. I see it everywhere but I can't find a single picture. I gather it's somewhere under the shift lever?

Cheers

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”