Turbo gearbox cracked

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Turbo gearbox cracked

Post by Sonac »

So my mechanic just dropped my gearbox which was making terrible sounds and smoking.
The end case is cracked and there are chunks of metal coming out.

I drove it to the mechanic and gears 1-4 were working perfectly fine, just no 5 or reverse.
And turbos are getting so rare now that I can't find a new turbo gearbox anywhere!

Have no idea what to do really. I just have to hope that it can be welded back together and the interior damage isn't too bad.

If anyone on here has a spare tubby gearbox in the south east area let me know! I'll happily take it off your hands.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Turbo gearbox cracked

Post by SonicSW20 »

New transmissions are still possible to get, but you won't get any change from about 3 grand.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Has the mechanic offered to cover any costs, seeing as they dropped it?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

By drop I mean he took it out the car. Not actually dropping it on the floor. Should have been more clear about that one haha. Usually people refer to removing the engine as dropping the engine. Because you raise the shell off the engine not the other way around like most front engine cars.

The gearbox guy said on these gearboxes the 5th gear fork usually bends which makes it pop out of 5th gear. But in this case the fork actually snapped. There was nowhere for it to go so it flew out the gearbox which cracked the end casing. Inside it's all silver oil and aluminium shavings apparently.

He said that he can most likely weld the end casing back together. And 1-4 gears should be fine.
But he isn't going to be able to work on it until next week.

In the mean time I found a couple mr2's turbo's being broken for parts on ebay. I contacted them and maybe they'll sell me the gearboxes.
Last edited by Sonac on 31/07/19 18:23, edited 2 times in total.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ah, I assumed thats what cracked it.

May just be a waiting game then, they do come up fairly often but not in vast quantities. Keep an eye out on the Facebook groups.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Absu

Post by Absu »

SonicSW20 wrote: 31/07/19 16:22 New transmissions are still possible to get, but you won't get any change from about 3 grand.
That's retail price..you can get a lot cheaper! Brand new for around £2000 also there is a guy from UK on ebay was selling for £1800 make an offer.They are still available from Toyota.

Absu

Post by Absu »

SonicSW20 wrote: 31/07/19 18:21 Ah, I assumed thats what cracked it.

May just be a waiting game then, they do come up fairly often but not in vast quantities. Keep an eye out on the Facebook groups.
I've been hunting for one for at least 3 month and no luck..last one went for £1100.

Absu

Post by Absu »

Sonac wrote: 31/07/19 16:08 So my mechanic just dropped my gearbox which was making terrible sounds and smoking.

I drove it to the mechanic and gears 1-4 were working perfectly fine, just no 5 or reverse.
And turbos are getting so rare now that I can't find a new turbo gearbox anywhere!

Have no idea what to do really. I just have to hope that it can be welded back together and the interior damage isn't too bad.

If anyone on here has a spare tubby gearbox in the south east area let me know! I'll happily take it off your hands.

If I was you I would just rebuild it..many of them has been trashed and not serviced properly. I had 4 second hand gearboxes..all of them been faulty. Synchros worn out,1st gear worn,5th gear and Synchros worn with hub,output and input shaft bearings worn..
Is not just simple job to remove the gearbox and if you have to pay someone it will cost you are double.

Absu

Post by Absu »

SonicSW20 wrote: 31/07/19 16:22 Has the mechanic offered to cover any costs, seeing as they dropped it?
I think you're misunderstanding what "dropped" means in this context. :laughing

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

Absu wrote: 31/07/19 23:03
Sonac wrote: 31/07/19 16:08 So my mechanic just dropped my gearbox which was making terrible sounds and smoking.

If I was you I would just rebuild it..many of them has been trashed and not serviced properly. I had 4 second hand gearboxes..all of them been faulty. Synchros worn out,1st gear worn,5th gear and Synchros worn with hub,output and input shaft bearings worn..
Is not just simple job to remove the gearbox and if you have to pay someone it will cost you are double.
Thats the plan right now. It's already at a gearbox shop. He diagnosed whats wrong. He said he can probably weld the end casing back together. But he has no idea how bad it is inside yet. He doesn't have time this week. But he is going to take it apart next week and if its salvageable he will rebuild it.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Sounds quite an unusual fault to me. I don't think I would consider welding it, that is a last resort option.

I would have thought you would have had loads of the MR2's at wreckers over there. Not much of a problem getting a gearbox over here unless your insisting on wanting one with LSD.

Even a stuffed gearbox would usually have a good case.I guess the problem could be that instead of getting them rebuilt, they are just getting another then scrapping the stuffed one totally. This would obviously lead to a dire shortage because not changing the gearbox oil leads to an early failure in the MR2 anyway.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

MR2DI4 wrote: 02/08/19 0:17 I would have thought you would have had loads of the MR2's at wreckers over there.
Not ones with E153 turbo boxes we don't.
They don't come up very often and current prices reflect that. Blink and you'll miss them.
And even then you're still getting an item which, if not previously rebuilt, will be a minimum of 20 years old.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

dawesy

Post by dawesy »

The parts to repair the damaged internals can be purchased new from Toyota, they arent too expensive.
the case, it is possible to just get the end cover, not sure if i have a spare here. if not MR2 ben or TCB may be able to help.
The ST205 and ST185 celica also share the same transmission (the differential and gear selector are different but can be swapped over)

Absu

Post by Absu »

MR2DI4 wrote: 02/08/19 0:17 Not much of a problem getting a gearbox over here unless your insisting on wanting one with LSD.
E153 with LSD that's the only gearbox for MR2 turbo!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”