To decat, or not to decat"........

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
nick

To decat, or not to decat"........

Post by nick »

Some may recall I sprint my essentially standard rev3 mk2. Gave 176 bhp on (probably optimistic) rollers last year.

Out of curiosity decatted it for this season. At at least 2 venues was able to compare speed over the line. Guess what? Yes, no increase in speed ,and felt no faster. So it can go back! Exhaust is the budget mr2ben option. As told on a separate posting the car is about 2 secs a lap quicker, down to the Hancock tyres over the old proxies.

Interestingly I was up against a decently driven Gt86 which was only about a second a lap quicker despite a significantly (8 mph) speed advantage on a shortish straight.

Not bad for a 25 year old car (and a much older driver)

Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: To decat, or not to decat"........

Post by Sonac »

If its NA. Don't bother. If its turbo. Go for it. Turbos hate any kind of restriction. It makes a fair difference. Bare in mind the exhaust stinks a bit more when sitting at red lights. But honestly doesn't bother me. I always pull the cats off my cars. One less thing to go wrong. Thats my opinion on the matter anyway.

Oh and for people considering a decat. If it's not an import made before 1994 then it will fail an MOT without a cat so keep the original to slap back on when MOT day comes around. Thats what I did with my old RX8.

FirstMidship
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: To decat, or not to decat"........

Post by FirstMidship »

I'm currently running decat, but only because the original exhaust fell apart at the flanges due to rot, between the catalytic converter and backbox, literally in my hands as I removed it. I couldn't find a cheaper option at the time.

As such, I'm looking to buy a cheap replacement backbox and catalytic converter, to fit for the MOT coming up.

I may or may not decat it after the MOT, because it's a faff, though it does sound better.
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 5 NA (1999)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”