Damage to crush bumpers/crumple zones

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
webb2800

Damage to crush bumpers/crumple zones

Post by webb2800 »

Hi guys,

Unfortunately someone has hit my 2 while it was parked. No note and so far doesn't seem like they've reported it. They've left a nice dent around the drivers side side light smashing the light and denting the front bumper and the front fender right where they meet. Luckily it seems they missed the wheel so the suspension seems to be undamaged.

Could anyone give me some advice on if the crumple zones/crash protection are likely to have been damaged or can I get away with just replacing the bumper and fender? As far as I can tell there is nothing behind the fender and since the bumper wasn't hit head on I'm hoping the impact bar is ok.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Re: Damage to crush bumpers/crumple zones

Post by Kinsy »

All that's between the crash bar and bumper skin is a big chunk of....polystyrene :D
Based on the damage I see there, there's nothing to worry about at all. Try using a hairdryer and a plunger to get out any dings as the bumper is urethane from what I remember and very flexible.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Damage to crush bumpers/crumple zones

Post by peteV6R5 »

no cumple zone damage, you can pull, that out as Kinsey said with heat to help.
you can see when 2014 had similar event when parked up outside sons house.
front off to allow straightening and repair, shows width of crash bar etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”