Buying an mr2 turbo - advice

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
tommy10101

Buying an mr2 turbo - advice

Post by tommy10101 »

Hi all,

This weekend I am purchasing a rev3 mr2 turbo. See link below

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... rchad=Used

Do you think it looks like a good one? And a good price?

The mods are perfect for me and would save me money over buying an original example as I would buy these mods anyway

Anything crucial I should be checking for?

Thanks
Tom

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Buying an mr2 turbo - advice

Post by Protok »

A mk2 cannot be a 2004 model.

Also, in my opinion; it isn't worth that kind of money, the mods listed would cost you £2000 at most.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

First registered 1994
L217PTV TOYOTA MR2
Colour White
Fuel type Petrol
Date registered 1 January 1994
MOT valid until 21 December 2019
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by S81933 »

MoT history looks good, 102k is not huge mileage, but £9000 is!!!

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
tommy10101

Post by tommy10101 »

That v6 looks nice!

My plan to to tweak to 300bhp fairly cheaply however so 4 pot better suited to me

I have said I am not willing to pay more than £8k. I feel this is about right considering the history and the lack of rev3s for sale at the moment

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

tommy10101 wrote: 23/11/19 11:38

My plan to to tweak to 300bhp fairly cheaply however so 4 pot better suited to me
Well thats probably your first mistake. 300Hp does not come cheaply or easily from these.

For starters it doesnt even come easily from a modern 2 litre with full variable valve timing let alone something out of the 1990s.

Topic author
tommy10101

Post by tommy10101 »

Well that’s the opposite to everything I have ever read about these cars so far

I thought these engines were very strong and over engineered and thought 300bhp only needed exhaust, induction, intercooler and turn the boost up a bit?

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Buy the V6
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
tommy10101

Post by tommy10101 »

The v6 is nice but I want the turbo power and want it more original

Was just posting in the hope someone would point out anything bad about this car or somthing I have missed which would give reason to avoid it etc

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

maybe test drive a V6 then pay double for a Turbo if you think its worth it ;)
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

tommy10101 wrote: 24/11/19 19:20 Well that’s the opposite to everything I have ever read about these cars so far

I thought these engines were very strong and over engineered and thought 300bhp only needed exhaust, induction, intercooler and turn the boost up a bit?
Been there and done it back in 2008 with my Rev 2 even with alot of bolt on mods including a hybrid CT26 which is now performing like a CT20b the gains on an actual dyno run were up 25Kw from a stock baseline run that hardly anyone ever does before any modifications.

Yes its all over the net but most of what you read is rubbish and not supported by Dyno runs. My favourites are getting a run and then making a few more minor mods after it and then claiming its at xxxHp like the "exhaust was leaking". If you want 300Hp at the wheels on a true dyno its not easy and no you cannot add 20% drive train losses after a disappointing dyno run to fudge your 300Hp at the flywheel either.

The engines are very strong and the core components like the crank, head and block are retained but just about the rest goes in the bin. "300Hp" and certainly a reliable 300Hp is not as easy as you may think.

What I do like about the MR2 is the low weight relative to the modern cars. at 1390Kg its hundreds of Kg's lighter that a standard sedan and even 250Hp "Feels" like 300Hp anyway and the CT series turbo spool so early they are making boost from as low as 2500rpm so the power delivery is nice and linear as your not waiting for the turbo to kick in.

Also a big difference in the way power is delivered between the Turbo and the V6 put in these so it comes down to the way you like to drive. I like 6 cylinder N/A's but the Subaru Boxer engine is no ordinary 1990's V6 designed to be put in a truck.

By all means buy one, put it on a dyno before you start doing anything to get a baseline Hp and then start spending the money. Just be prepared to have deep pockets. Not saying it cannot be done but its not a simple as people make out.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 25/11/19 1:49
tommy10101 wrote: 24/11/19 19:20 Well that’s the opposite to everything I have ever read about these cars so far

Been there and done it back in 2008 with my Rev 2 even with alot of bolt on mods including a hybrid CT26 which is now performing like a CT20b the gains on an actual dyno run were up 25Kw from a stock baseline run that hardly anyone ever does before any modifications.

Yes its all over the net but most of what you read is rubbish and not supported by Dyno runs. My favourites are getting a run and then making a few more minor mods after it and then claiming its at xxxHp like the "exhaust was leaking". If you want 300Hp at the wheels on a true dyno its not easy and no you cannot add 20% drive train losses after a disappointing dyno run to fudge your 300Hp at the flywheel either.

The engines are very strong and the core components like the crank, head and block are retained but just about the rest goes in the bin. "300Hp" and certainly a reliable 300Hp is not as easy as you may think.

What I do like about the MR2 is the low weight relative to the modern cars. at 1390Kg its hundreds of Kg's lighter that a standard sedan and even 250Hp "Feels" like 300Hp anyway and the CT series turbo spool so early they are making boost from as low as 2500rpm so the power delivery is nice and linear as your not waiting for the turbo to kick in.

Also a big difference in the way power is delivered between the Turbo and the V6 put in these so it comes down to the way you like to drive. I like 6 cylinder N/A's but the Subaru Boxer engine is no ordinary 1990's V6 designed to be put in a truck.

By all means buy one, put it on a dyno before you start doing anything to get a baseline Hp and then start spending the money. Just be prepared to have deep pockets. Not saying it cannot be done but its not a simple as people make out.
Carl, he never said 300bhp at the wheels.
I have seen loads of rev3 tubbys on dynos with the quick mods he is talking about above 285bhp fly and most are close to 300.
3 I know are at 301-303bhp (with charge coolers).... all on same very reputable dyno.
your rev2 tubby engine is a different matter to get to 300bhp and yes you need to spend more on rev1/2 to get same gains.
totally agree with your power delivery between V6 and Tubbo... initially I can stay with tubby in straight line but when the turbo comes on line and with the extra revs in each gear they walk away from me.
V6 IMO and a few others make better fast dailies than turbos, no need for V power and more miles per gallon.
if weekend toy it comes down to how you like the power delivered.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Like I said tho, do a baseline run FIRST and compare that to the factory claimed power.

Then do your basic bolt on mods mods and dyno run it again on the SAME Dyno and see what "Gains" you actually get. You will be lucky to wipe out the difference between your first dyno run and the claimed factory power.

You CANNOT add stupid high transmission loss figures to the Dyno result to get to the magic 300Hp. Sorry but you will be running like 19psi plus on the CT20b and you still will not be at a true 300Hp at the flywheel. Its no going to happen. Dont get me wrong, the 3S-GTE is a great engine I love it to bits and it has massive potential if you want to throw some dollars at it but regardless of what you do to it, the engine is now old technology from an engineering point of view.

If your going to pull the engine and completely rebuild it, do some flow work and look at different cams and valves etc, then sure I can believe you would get very close but that is not technically just simple external "Bolt on modifications". The stock ECU and injectors have their limits and you find them pretty quickly as you increase the boost.

Are the "bolt ons" worth it, hell yes I had so much fun modifying the car myself but on reflection was still lucky it didn't go bang as not everything was done in the right order. There are a few easy gains to get, then IMO give up chasing the numbers as money is best spent on quality tyres, brakes and sorting the suspension because even on stock power these cars are QUICK.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”