Hot rubber smell

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
RIDDLER55

Hot rubber smell

Post by RIDDLER55 »

Hello – I have only just recently got my MR2 Mark 2.
Although it is driving very well, I did notice a faint smell of burning rubber coming from the offside rear when I stop the car.
Since then I have taken it to my very good mechanic who has replaced the timing belt, the alternator belt and the air-conditioning belt – a real pig of a job!
The car is still running beautifully but I am still getting a faint but distinct smell of burning rubber when I get out of the car.
I don’t think it is the tyres – I am running 225/45/16s at the back and have recently replaced them.
I’m at a loss to explain it – can anyone help?

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Hot rubber smell

Post by MR2DI4 »

Sounds a bit unusual. Would do a visual check in the engine bay and make sure nothing is somehow touching the exhaust. Would jack the rear and make sure the wheels spin freely the rear brake calipers have a habit of ceasing up. Your tyres shouldn't be rubbing anything not at 16inch. Could be something you picked up from the road thats stuck to the exhaust? I noticed a plastic bag had melted on my exhaust of the subaru the other day while doing an oil change.

Topic author
RIDDLER55

Post by RIDDLER55 »

Thanks - will check those things.

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Are you sure its rubber not hot brake pads or even grease or oil on the exhaust ? would even check the CV boots, nothing like these failing and chucking grease all over the place. A visual check should find the problem I would have thought.

Topic author
RIDDLER55

Post by RIDDLER55 »

Well it smells like burning rubber. It’s not overpowering. But it is distinct.
I have noticed also that if I leave the car on the drive for a day or two, when I first move off it feels like a brake is bound on a bit. There’s a slight groaning noise then it frees itself. But my 2015 GT86 does that as well so I thought it was a quirk of Toyotas.
I’m not much of a mechanic so am going to whizz it back to the guy who works on my cars for me for an inspection. Thanks for trying to help.
I did do a search on here for burning rubber before posting and found some references to timing belts and that is what worried me. But as I said, I had smelt this before I had the timing belt changed. So am hoping it is brake related maybe, as you suggest.
Only had the car two weeks and it is a minter so trying to look after it!

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by Kinsy »

Handbrake cables seizing in the cold weather; check the brakes release when leaving it stood for a while & if you want to save some pain when they snap, get the cables off now and do your best to grease them up inside their sleeves.

Topic author
RIDDLER55

Post by RIDDLER55 »

Are you saying that is what might be causing the smell - or the binding on start-up? When out and about the car rolls freely on slight inclines when I release the handbrake.

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Kinsy wrote: 27/12/19 18:39 Handbrake cables seizing in the cold weather; check the brakes release when leaving it stood for a while & if you want to save some pain when they snap, get the cables off now and do your best to grease them up inside their sleeves.
If you have handbrake cable trouble, do yourself a big favour and buy new cables.

Mine failed when the strands of the cable started snapping inside and it just fishhooks the outer, they cannot be repaired. They are also designed to run dry with no lubrication. Part of the problem is that the rubber gaiter at the brake end gets old and falls to bits letting in dust which accelerates the wear. When new they slide with almost zero resistance. They simply wear out, buy new ones.

You need to jack the car and spin the wheel by hand, they should do several revolutions not less than one.

Topic author
RIDDLER55

Post by RIDDLER55 »

Yes - but has this got anything to do with the burning rubber smell I am getting? As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the handbrake.

FirstMidship
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by FirstMidship »

I'm very interested in the responses this gets too, I get the same thing, this was before and after I did my timing belt and alternator belt changes.

I'm going to look at the following: placement of hoses around the engine and exhaust; tension on the alternator and timing belts.
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 5 NA (1999)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”