Failing to start? Need some expert advice

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Benparker29

Failing to start? Need some expert advice

Post by Benparker29 »

My mr2 turbo cut out the other day while driving, tried to start it again and it just cranked and cranked, no stutters or anything, got it towed home, checked fuses etc and nothing there, the king lead to the distributor has voltage but it’s at 6v when cranking and I’m guessing this is too low to create a strong spark? Would a failing battery cause an issue like this? I have cleaned out the distributor cap from all the corrosion and nothing changed, spark plugs are soaking wet with fuel so I know it’s getting fuel, my aim in the next few days is replace the distributor cap and rotor and then get a fresh battery in, after these what would be my next thing to look at?

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Failing to start? Need some expert advice

Post by abovetherim »

First thing to check would be coil pack.

These crack and let in moisture. The bracket also corrodes and stops earthing to body which it needs.

Do a search and you may find many threads about it including one I made with what to expect when replacing
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abovetherim »

1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
Benparker29

Post by Benparker29 »

I’ll get one in order and have a look at the condition of mine in the meantime, is there some sort of list to follow when having ignition trouble that I can troubleshoot using? If it helps with diagnosis it has never had trouble starting ever and since it cut it sounds like a very minor stutter when starting from a fully charged battery but not enough to start up, do things like coils and distributor caps/rotors go suddenly
Or is degradation noticed first? And is the 6v to the king lead under cranking a clue? Is this enough to cause a spark or could this point to a bad earth or dead battery?

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by martin42006 »

Coil packs will usually fail to start on a cold or wet morning, when mine was on the way out the car would be hard to start and then misfire badly for a bit but once it was running it would be fine.
If it died while your driving then my first question would be, do you still have a timimg belt?
Pull the plugs one at a time and check for spark.
Crank it a few times with the plugs removed and see if your getting fuel.

Once you know which bit is making it not start then start trying to diagnose it.
Also do you have an aftermarket immobiliser?
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”