What alternator wiring can I lose?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

What alternator wiring can I lose?

Post by chaos19810 »

Hello,

It’s good to be working in my car again, I’m in the current process of requiring the car with a stand-alone, but the wiring from the 3sgte and the car harness have both had a hard life so I an in the process of making a new engine harness.

I’m pretty much planned and sorted all of it but I have three wires from the alternator plug which I am not totally sure what to do with them. I know that

1) Charge warning light, Yellow - doesn't do much just a warning light on dash

So not needed, but I can trace the wire to the dash if needs be

2) ECU-IG, 7.5A, Black Yellow - fuse located in Engine Bay (also in ABS circuit)

I’m not sure what to do with this but I think it needs a 12v feed, as I’m using a different coil set I can just run a feed from my new ford coil

3) Alt Sencing, 7.5A, White/Red - fuse located in frunk

I don’t know what this one does my research has thrown up nothing conclusive does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: What alternator wiring can I lose?

Post by jimi »

One is the warning light, one is the battery sensing and one is an ignition switched live. Yours will be type3 or type4 (round or rectangular)
alternator_connections_002.gif
Denso3.gif

Personally I would rewire it the same as Mr T did, it was wired the way it was for good reasons.
Given the MR2's propensity to have alternator problems, why do away with the charge warning light? as a professional chief electrician / MR2 enthusiast that makes no sense whatsoever to me ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: What alternator wiring can I lose?

Post by chaos19810 »

If I’m honest, the wiring was a mess, it had been chopped and changed to fit in 4 different cars, plus now it’s in the Aw11 I want to tidy it all up and start getting rid of wires that I now longer need. The engine will be controlled by the standalone loom, I have already planned the starter circuit, it was the charging circuit to sort then next Sunday I start building.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”