Help! Rear Lights not working including third brake light, speedo and Climate Control backlights.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Qasimr2

Help! Rear Lights not working including third brake light, speedo and Climate Control backlights.

Post by Qasimr2 »

I have a 1993 Mk2 mr2 (japanese import) and the other day my right taillight had stopped working, I thought it the housing unit was the problem as the sockets had all corroded and water had entered the housing and might have been causing a short circuit. The next day when I turn my car on, both tail lights had stopped working including the brake lights, speedo backlight and climate control backlight. My front headlights are working fine and my domelight is working fine. I am struggling to see what the problem could be and would appreciate any tips or pointers. Thanks.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Help! Rear Lights not working including third brake light, speedo and Climate Control backlights.

Post by jimi »

Have you checked the "Tail" (15A) fuse?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Qasimr2

Re: Help! Rear Lights not working including third brake light, speedo and Climate Control backlights.

Post by Qasimr2 »

jimi wrote: 30/01/20 21:46 Have you checked the "Tail" (15A) fuse?
I have checked the 15A fuse and it seems to be fine, there’s no broken connection. I also replaced the fuse but to no avail.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Try checking the earth connections to the rear lights, other than that you really need to use a multimeter and wiring diagram to fault find the circuit. We could guess for a month and hit it.

Topic author
Qasimr2

Post by Qasimr2 »

jimi wrote: 31/01/20 2:00 Try checking the earth connections to the rear lights, other than that you really need to use a multimeter and wiring diagram to fault find the circuit. We could guess for a month and hit it.
I do have a multimeter on hand, is there a guide for checking the earths?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

You can download the wiring diagrams from this thread https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/198/80372.html or from here https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/c ... 1-mk2.html once you you have found the correct wires use the meter to test for voltage between the supply wire and a a good earth on the body (not the wiring earth wire) , if there's no voltage at the lights work back the circuit until you find it. (with the light switch on obviously ) If you get voltage at the light, make the same check to the earth wire if you get voltage there then its either a blown bulb or bad connection. If voltage to the body but not to the wiring earth (usually white/black) then either a bad earth or broken earth wire

Topic author
Qasimr2

Post by Qasimr2 »

Thanks very much for the help mate. I started testing from the lights and was surprised to find voltage. I did some closer inspection on the lamp connections in the actual light housing and found that the water ingress was shorting out the new fuses every-time I put a new one in that’s why I initially didn’t think it was a fuse problem as I kept replacing them. I simply replaced the whole right tail light, including the connections, put a new fuse in and thankfully everything was back to mormal.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Excellent, glad you found the problem and it was an relatively easy fix
:th:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”