Expected power figures

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Expected power figures

Post by Sonac »

I just got a new boost controller because my old one broke. Now back to running my Rev2 at 19psi (1.28 bar).
AFR is good at top end. Never goes past 11 so no lean running. Got a metal head gasket from the rev3.
Walboro fuel pump. Upgraded intercooler and intercooler fan. Decatted straight though exhaust etc. CT20b turbo.

I do plan on getting my car on a dyno at some point but what kind of power should I be expecting at this boost level? From what I read on one guide should be about 300whp right?

Thanks!
Last edited by Sonac on 10/02/20 14:08, edited 2 times in total.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Expected power figures

Post by peteV6R5 »

guessing 300 fly max from what I have seen on RRs in the past, prob nearer 280
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

peteV6R5 wrote: 10/02/20 13:17 guessing 300 fly max from what I have seen on RRs in the past, prob nearer 280
Thanks for the insight. I have found a local rolling road and definitely plan to get it tested.
I'm gonna push the boost higher until the stock rev2 fuel system can't take any more.

Right now I still have a little headroom thanks to the upgraded fuel pump.

I've seen people on other forum posts push 20-21psi without any issues. Seems the stock 3sgte is good for about 350-400hp before it needs pistons done. So as long as I can keep it fueled and not running lean I guess I can throw as much boost at it as I want. I don't think this CT20b has much puff left in it anyway :laughing: definitely needs a rebuilt or replacement soon. It's letting oil into the intake and sometimes rattles a bit. I'll get a rebuilt one with a billet turbine instead of ceramic from mr2ben when it finally dies.

Figure I can safely push afr to 12 before its too lean for more boost.

Again thanks

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

What ECU are you using?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Pretty much ignore at the flywheel BS conversions you get 250hp at the wheels tops on a proper dyno. The stock fuel injectors are your limiting factor with the stock ecu right behind.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

benckj wrote: 11/02/20 19:46 Best you read this;

https://web.archive.org/web/20130214043 ... ngine.html
Brilliant, been looking for this for years after I lost it in a PC crash.

The first thing you notice is nobody talking about AFR's and everyone relying on boost levels, BIG MISTAKE.

Yes if you fully rebuild your engine, do some port work and supporting mods and can handle a noisy aftermarket exhaust then the engine will make 250Hp all day long on the stock ECU and injectors running in a maxed out condition with the fuel pressure right up to the maximum spec. The CT20b makes it easier, I had to modify the CT26. Not prepared to rebuild my engine or change the exhaust so I had to settle for 225Hp at the wheels.

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

MR2DI4 wrote: 11/02/20 21:05
benckj wrote: 11/02/20 19:46 Best you read this;

https://web.archive.org/web/20130214043 ... ngine.html
Brilliant, been looking for this for years after I lost it in a PC crash.

The first thing you notice is nobody talking about AFR's and everyone relying on boost levels, BIG MISTAKE.

Yes if you fully rebuild your engine, do some port work and supporting mods and can handle a noisy aftermarket exhaust then the engine will make 250Hp all day long on the stock ECU and injectors running in a maxed out condition with the fuel pressure right up to the maximum spec. The CT20b makes it easier, I had to modify the CT26. Not prepared to rebuild my engine or change the exhaust so I had to settle for 225Hp at the wheels.
Exactly. As long as I'm not going lean (constantly monitoring Afr with my wideband) there should be no problem. I have all the nessesary upgrades. My engine is not gonna blow.

It's weird how you say 250 to the wheels is max when I've seen dyno results on other forum posts etc of people making far more.

Very contradicting results. My guess is they had a better ECU so could get a better map.

Will see anyway. I plan to get my car on the dyno next month.

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

SonicSW20 wrote: 10/02/20 14:47 What ECU are you using?
Stock

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Stock ECU will run lean on centre two cylinders under high boost which may not show on the wideband located in dump pipe. Someone on the MR2OC actually broke the OEM code and found a fault with the ignition advance on cyl 3. Table also runs out of MAP values so it interpolates above max values which can cause unknown problems. I could go on but the link provided above should serve as a warning to others..............

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Post up your results on the Dyno.

Yes would have liked to take the stock set-up to the limits but really a full engine rebuild or at the least a full head rebuild and port work and then throwing a perfectly good exhaust that has lasted 30 years so far in the bin is a lot of time and effort and thousands of dollaars to try and get another 25Hp. Simply not worth it in my book. The car pulls like it has 300Hp anyway due to the low weight in comparison to modern cars that are loaded down to meet crash test standards and safety.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Sonac wrote: 12/02/20 1:40
SonicSW20 wrote: 10/02/20 14:47 What ECU are you using?
Stock

19PSI on a stock Gen2 ECU? You're brave.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

benckj wrote: 12/02/20 1:54 Stock ECU will run lean on centre two cylinders under high boost which may not show on the wideband located in dump pipe. Someone on the MR2OC actually broke the OEM code and found a fault with the ignition advance on cyl 3. Table also runs out of MAP values so it interpolates above max values which can cause unknown problems. I could go on but the link provided above should serve as a warning to others..............
Link to this discussion?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Coming from an electronics background i have my doubts that there are any significant problems with the stock ecu. The firmware was constantly revised which is evident by part number changes. I went to great effort to keep the turbo pressure sensor signal integrity right up to 17psi in my fcd design when everyone else insisted the ecu didnt even use it for anything other than fuel cut and the boost gauge.

Running lean under boost is what kills your engine. As long as your chucking enough fuel in there you can tell the car is running right or not. The stock ecu is awesome its never missed a beat.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”