ct20b

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
welshboyo
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

ct20b

Post by welshboyo »

Hi guys looking for some advise really bought a ct20b for a£100 which I thought was pretty good deal . It was off a rev3 the guy had upgraded his turbo . He said the turbo was working great when it came off his car but would recommend a rebuild . Does anyone know where I can get this done ?? As better be safe than sorry , any help would be great many thanks .

Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: ct20b

Post by Tallboy »

Turbo Technics did my ct20b back in 2014 i think it was around £500 not sure what it would be now
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

They are a great turbo but unfortunately the rebuilders like to throw your ceramic exhaust turbine in the bin and put a steel one in instead. Unless its damaged the ceramic one is better.

Topic author
welshboyo

Post by welshboyo »

cheers for the reply guys , i currently have a rev 2 and wanted to take the ct26 out and replace it with the ct20b was told it was a faster spooling turbo .
Is the steel turbine much difference to the ceramic ???

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

MR2DI4 wrote: 01/03/20 18:20 They are a great turbo but unfortunately the rebuilders like to throw your ceramic exhaust turbine in the bin and put a steel one in instead. Unless its damaged the ceramic one is better.
Bare in mind that the above is from someone who lives in New Zealand and is unlikely to KNOW what a UK turbo company like Turbo Technics will do when rebuilding a CT20b. Best bet would be to ask them ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

welshboyo wrote: 01/03/20 23:54 cheers for the reply guys , i currently have a rev 2 and wanted to take the ct26 out and replace it with the ct20b was told it was a faster spooling turbo .
Is the steel turbine much difference to the ceramic ???
Don't know about faster but it has about a 20% better flow over the CT26 because the compressor wheel is slightly larger by a few mm in the diameter. The stock CT26 just falls over at the redline no matter what you do to try and increase the boost. Yes you get 17psi at 4200rpm with it but then it just dies after that to 10psi at the redline.

The CT20b will still be making 17-19psi at the redline so make sure you have all the necessary supporting modifications in terms of fueling and cooling.

The Ceramic is going to spool faster than an Inconel turbine wheel, its just physics.I have picked up both at a turbo rebuilders, the Ceramic one is half the weight. It was a no brainer to stick with the Ceramic one and I had that option because I was rebuilding my own turbo's.

The turbine wheel on the CT26 is much bigger than the CT20 as well. I ended up putting a CT20b compressor wheel into a ceramic CT26 and the difference was dramatic. The Ct20b wheel had to have the shaft diameter increased from 5.7mm to 6.5mm and the back of it had to be recessed and the compressor housing machined to fit it.The penalty was an increased lag by 300rpm but the top end is spectacular, but at 17psi at the redline is now flowing as much air as the stock fueling can support.

To this very day I have no idea why none of the turbo shops have gone down this path, it was obvious to me it was worth a try and that was way back in 2008 when I was rebuilding them. The turbo is still running perfectly and has over 60,000km on it since then.

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

i have a perfectly working ct20b if anyone is interested.

Topic author
welshboyo

Post by welshboyo »

How much was you looking for the ct20 mate ???

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

I have it advertised on the FB pages, otherwise. Send me a pm on here

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Ct20b is still the best turbo for the MR2 if you have stock fueling and the stock ECU because of the non existant turbo lag. They start making some boost from like 1500rpm if you watch the boost gauge and its pretty seamless from that point on. Lost a little bit of midrange power in mine due to the boost curve being shifted up 300rpm but you really don't notice it. The Ct20b is still a great turbo.

Topic author
welshboyo

Post by welshboyo »

was not looking for big power just a little extra lol, not sure what power mine would be putting out really.
I have a rev 2 with metal gasket, blitz induction kit ,berk downpipe ,fujitsubo exhaust,uprated intercooler,blitz boost gauge running standard boost. And i will be putting a ct20b on now instead of the ct26.

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

That "little extra" power can only come from increasing the boost. The CT26 at 10psi is the same as the CT20b at 10psi more or less your certainly not going to notice the difference driving it. You can split hairs by saying its more efficient at that level of boost and the wastegate is no longer jammed shut trying to get the CT26 to make more boost when it cannot due to flow, but a few Hp is not noticeable.

Go to 17psi after checking your fuel pressure and yes its noticeable.

You will inevitably end up turning up the boost, everyone does its just in every petrol heads nature to do so.Once you start modifying your car its pretty hard to stop. If your like me and do your research of what supporting mods are needed and that combined with a bit of luck will see you get the most out of it. The secret is to stop playing with it just before it goes BANG.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”