Recommended Extras - 3SGE Engine Removal

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Freemantle
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 6

Recommended Extras - 3SGE Engine Removal

Post by Freemantle »

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has recommendations on parts/gaskets to change while the engine is out of the car?

To cut a long story short my mechanic has opted to take the engine out for a clutch change and I thought if this is the case we can get at some other bits.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

:th:

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Recommended Extras - 3SGE Engine Removal

Post by martin42006 »

If its not been done recently then timing belt and waterpump is alot easier with the engine out.
Other than that its probably best on a dont touch if its not broke system.
If you have any oil leaks than get them sorted.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

Topic author
Freemantle
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by Freemantle »

That's great advice Martin thanks bud, I'll definitely get them done and it seems like the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach is the way forward with these cars.

I just want to avoid taking the engine out again unless it's for something more powerful!

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abovetherim »

Whilst engine out clean up the side under the intake and inspect all the vac hoses. Maybe even replace em with some shiney new silicon vac hose.

Also a good time to remove all the rusty bolts for the heat shields (some will snap and require drilling and holes retapping) replace with stainless and copper grease
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”