Help my car is misfiring!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Help my car is misfiring!

Post by Sonac »

Evening all,

About 2 weeks ago I was driving along and when I hit boost my car went into limp mode. Turned out the nut which holds the two halfs of the turbo together had rattled it's self off and the turbo had separated. This caused the knock sensor to blow.

Since its my daily and I had to wait for the new sensor to come I drove it around for 50 miles in limp mode running pig rich.

Once I replaced the knock sensor I drove about 20 miles and it ran perfectly. Everything was working awesome. Hit full boost and the car was good fun. On the return journey however the engine started misfiring. Seems fine at idle with the occasional miss. When I rev it I can hear the misfire a bit more. But when I hit boost is the real issue. As soon as I get to about 0.5 bar it starts to misfire badly.

I have changed the sparkplugs, they were pretty black as expected from running limp mode. However this didn't fix the misfire.

I need to sell the car ASAP since it has a twisted chassis leg (crashed in the wet due to budget rubber rot tyres, lesson learned!) and I just bought a ST205. But this problem started happening right at the wrong time.

Any ideas?

Thanks (btw its a 92 rev2 tubby)
Last edited by Sonac on 10/03/20 22:54, edited 2 times in total.

chrisE
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Help my car is misfiring!

Post by chrisE »

Check your distributor cap for corrosion. Water occasionally gets in there. You may also find oil leaking from it getting on the ecu plug on the bottom, if it's not been replaced or had oil seals changed.

Check the ignition coil as this is susceptible to cracking and allowing water in. You can check the resistance on this using the BGB manual.

You may also have water in your fuel, but check the above first.
1995 Toyota MR2 GT-S in emerald green

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Help my car is misfiring!

Post by Sonac »

chrisE wrote: 10/03/20 19:46 Check your distributor cap for corrosion. Water occasionally gets in there. You may also find oil leaking from it getting on the ecu plug on the bottom, if it's not been replaced or had oil seals changed.

Check the ignition coil as this is susceptible to cracking and allowing water in. You can check the resistance on this using the BGB manual.

You may also have water in your fuel, but check the above first.
Good ideas. I'll check these tomorrow and see if there is a problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”