Trim Levels and VIN

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
mitoand9

Trim Levels and VIN

Post by mitoand9 »

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a MR2 SW20 and the one I am currently interested in is a JPN import.

I would like to understand the specific trim level that it is and I can't quite figure it out. Wikipedia has a list of trim levels for JPN, UK and USA, but I was looking for a more detailed and more reliable source for this info. Any suggestions?
The JPN import which I am currently looking at is a naturally aspirated T-bar model (see pics below). I'm guessing some of you can already guess the exact trim level just by the pics.

I also tried decoding the VIN (see attached pic), but according to https://parts.olathetoyota.com/blog/458 ... toyota-vin, the 10th digit cannot be a 0 or an O. I will talk again to the owner and actually take pics of the VIN on the chassis next time I go (I only took a picture of the VIN on the service records booklet :facepalm:). In the meantime, if any of you has any idea of why that could be wrong (or maybe why I could be wrong?), it would be good to hear!

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Trim Levels and VIN

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

I think the 11th is wrong because sw20 is the MK2 .
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
mitoand9

Post by mitoand9 »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 16/03/20 21:11 I think the 11th is wrong because sw20 is the MK2 .
Thanks for pointing it out.
I just found out that the 5th digit is a 3 (on a service invoice) not a T like indicated on the booklet..
However, the other numbers are reported in the same way.

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by martin42006 »

Are you sure its an import?
The trim levels didnt really change much aside from just the different revisions i would say the one you have there is a rev 4.
The other differences were often just optional upgrades.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

martin42006 wrote: 17/03/20 7:27 Are you sure its an import?
The trim levels didnt really change much aside from just the different revisions i would say the one you have there is a rev 4.
The other differences were often just optional upgrades.
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk2 ... kbartid=98
Revision 4 - June 1996 to December 1997
Chassis JT163SW2000106663 to JT163SW2000110780 (Approx)

agree with Martin, Rev4 not much diff in trim unless badged GLTD as thats the JDM
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

As above it's not an JDM import, your VIN is JT163SW20 0107622 car was built September 1996, colour code is 8K9 Destination was G(or GR or EU) which is Europe. Here's what Mr T has to say about it
mitoand9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
mitoand9

Post by mitoand9 »

Thanks all! Great stuff

Topic author
mitoand9

Post by mitoand9 »

jimi wrote: 17/03/20 9:50 As above it's not an JDM import, your VIN is JT163SW20 0107622 car was built September 1996, colour code is 8K9 Destination was G(or GR or EU) which is Europe. Here's what Mr T has to say about it

mitoand9.jpg
I'm just wondering how you deduced that the code is actually 16 digits instead of 17 and why there is a 1 on the 11th digit location instead of a 0.
Format looks slightly different.

Cheers

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

The Toyota EPC will only accept the VIN in the correct format which is 2 parts with a gap (although the VIN plate often shows no gap and extra 0's) so depending on the model the first part is always the same, in this case JT163SW20 the second part is basically the chassis number and needs to be the correct number of digits, if the EPC can't find it then there's normally an extra zero at the start of the number that can be dropped. Also the EPC is split into 4 areas, Japan, Europe, North America, and General, you need to specify which area you are searching, so if you search Japan with a European VIN then it won't find it. I tried the above VIN in Japan and got no hits, tried it in Europe and got the info I posted, which also how I know it isn't an import
If you want to try it go here http://www.japan-parts.eu/ gives you the choice between Japan and Europe, trying searching both and varying the VIN format and see what you get.
Most of the online VIN decoders, like the one you tried are American based and aren't always correct, I wouldn't trust/rely on them.

Topic author
mitoand9

Post by mitoand9 »

Good insight, thank you!

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

I agree with jimi. The T on the handwritten VIN number is an error. It should be a 3. Somebody has slipped up when completing the service record. Obviously check the number on the V5C and the VIN plate on the rear of the front bulkhead - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ku2/id%20plate%20location.jpg

What makes you think it's a JDM import? Those do not have the JT163 prefix to the VIN Number. The boot lid is definitely from a UK car. On a G-Ltd import the Toyota badge is on the other (L/H) side. The side strips between the wheel arches are the raised UK type. On an import they are flush.

Even allowing for different materials (metal/plastic), the front bumper is a markedly different shade to the wings and front lid. Looks like it has been repaired/replaced at some point. Also, I could be mistaken but it also looks as if the rear bumper has been changed to the JDM version with the smaller space for the plate. If so, I wonder why?
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
mitoand9

Post by mitoand9 »

TonyleFrog wrote: 19/03/20 21:58 I agree with jimi. The T on the handwritten VIN number is an error. It should be a 3. Somebody has slipped up when completing the service record. Obviously check the number on the V5C and the VIN plate on the rear of the front bulkhead - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ku2/id%20plate%20location.jpg

What makes you think it's a JDM import? Those do not have the JT163 prefix to the VIN Number. The boot lid is definitely from a UK car. On a G-Ltd import the Toyota badge is on the other (L/H) side. The side strips between the wheel arches are the raised UK type. On an import they are flush.

Even allowing for different materials (metal/plastic), the front bumper is a markedly different shade to the wings and front lid. Looks like it has been repaired/replaced at some point. Also, I could be mistaken but it also looks as if the rear bumper has been changed to the JDM version with the smaller space for the plate. If so, I wonder why?
The dealer initially told me it was an import (apparently the car was imported in the UK in May 1997, but it was manufactured in 1996 and kept somewhere else initially). In my head I associated this immediately to JAP, but I was clearly wrong. Also, the dealer himself mentioned JAP, but he did not know a whole lot about the car tbh.

The rear bumper is the EU version, since it has space for the long plate (I uploaded these pictures where the plate is covered because they were the only ones I had on this laptop).

I ended up buying the car yesterday.
I'll definitely dig in deeper on the bumper colour..

Thanks!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Not a lot of options to where it could have been imported from, Europe + RHD doesn't leave many options, Ireland/Cyprus/Malta is about it AFAIK

S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by S81933 »

If anybody digs way back in my posts, they'd find one reason for a UK spec to be showing as imported. Mine started life in the UK, then went to Germany for 18 months; so, when it came back, it was re-registered and classed as an import. I was lucky enough to get its original Toyota service book which showed the relevant dealer stamps.
I don't know, but I think it may have been owned by an army officer as it came back to Colchester.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”