Thermostat

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 4 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
nick

Thermostat

Post by nick »

I have reason to think this is faulty. After a short run the radiator is warm, and the temperature gauge tends to be very low. No actual problems though.

I presume this is the housing by the dipstick? Removal looks fairly straightforward, but I do not want to drain down the cooling system if I can help it. Would it make sense to raise the back of the car to minimise fluid loss before removing? I recognise some will need replacing
P1010827.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Thermostat

Post by benckj »

Yes can do with low loss of fluid. To assist drain off some coolant from lower radiator port and raise rear of car up.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Irrespective of what you lose, you'll still have to bleed the system properly. https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... bartid=161
Section 26 onwards. How low is low on your gauge ? If the rad is getting warm it would suggest the thermostat is working, could be a duff temp sensor.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
nick

Post by nick »

Driving normally the gauge barely comes off the stop. In traffic or harder driving comes up to below normal. After a short run I checked the rad temp (with a separate gauge) at about 60 which to me suggests the thermostat is open.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Thermostat should open at 80-84 degrees, but it's a fair distance from the station to the radiator so it will cool down quick, how's your heater ?
To be sure your probably going to have to remove it and test, so probably just as well changing it. I'd recommend buying a genuine Toyota thermostat (they are not expensive from Mr T) make sure you install it properly with the jiggle valve in the correct position, then bleed the system as per the procedure.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 4 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”